Got a refund. Asked to cover resolve cost

Farnor
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have transferred money to a person by mistake (very common name/email combination). I asked him for refund, but got no answer for 3 days. I then called PayPal and they said that they will ask him for proof that he has sent an item and that if he doesn't answer within 10 day, the issue will be resolved in my favour. He didn't response, and I got my refund.

Now after 3 weeks of silence, he has sent my an official refund request claiming that my "mistake" and false claim to PayPal that I did not receive the product from him caused them to charge his account $15USD to resolve the dispute that I initiated, again because of my mistake.
It is true that PayPal labeled the dispute that I did not receive the item, but I was told that how they do it because of the possibility that the buyer just want to back out of the deal and claims wrong email.
Should I ignore/cancel his request or is it better to escalate to PayPal?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

Yes, PayPal can charge fees for processing disputes.  You can find more details on that here.  But yeah, it's likely that this person did get charged a fee for the dispute.

That said, if they had responded to your initial contact and simply refunded you the money then you wouldn't have had to file the dispute and they wouldn't have been charged a fee.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Farnor
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for the fast response angelleye.

But my question is still there since he has sent me this official request for refund for his dispute processing fees: Should I ignore/cancel the request or escalate to the dispute center?

Regards,

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

It sounds like he sent you a simple money request.  This is not something he's disputing with PayPal.  There's nothing for him to dispute because he never sent you money directly.

If you feel guilty about the situation and want to pay him back for the fee that he had to pay PayPal, then sure you could pay his money request.

That's why I mentioned, though, that had this person replied to your emails it would have never happened.  So, do you really need to feel guilty about it?  

Some would say yes, some would say no.  You'll have to decide that for yourself I think.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.