Fees when buying in GBP from German seller.

dai1983
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am based in the UK and the item I want is being listed on ebay in GBP and not EUROs from a seller in Germany using my UK paypal account. If I purchase it will I be liable for any other charges? If I remember correctly I haven't previously paid any charges when buying smaller items from China etc listed in GBP but the help articles on here are not very clear about my circumstances.

Thanks in advance, 

David 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dai1983 

If eBay invoice you in GBP during checkout, and you pay in GBP then there won’t be currency conversion fees. It will be like buying from UK seller.

For future reference, if the price at checkout is in Euro or any other currencies, always look for “See currency options” link (pay with credit card for this option) during PayPal checkout then choose to pay in Euro or in the currency you are invoiced instead of GBP. If you pay in GBP when currency is not GBP at checkout, PayPal does the conversion which may not give the best rate. If you pay in Euro or other currencies, your credit card’s exchange rates will apply which won’t be shown until you get your bill and your credit card may charge a foreign transaction fee on top of the exchange rate conversion. Check with your credit card for how much their foreign transaction fee is, if any.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.