Fee wrongly charged

alenz73
Contributor
Contributor
My family member paid me money she owed me via PayPal. PayPal did not give her an option to choose family/friends or goods/services so she just sent it (not knowing that it should have asked her) and PayPal treated as a good/services transaction and took a fee from me from me. She has sent me money before and I never got charged a fee in the past from her. We even went through the steps to do it again and still PayPal did not ask her if it was for friends/family or goods/services. This isnt right. How do I get my money back?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@alenz73 

After entering the amount and a note, you didn’t see an option to switch between f&f/g&s right under the amount on the next step?

Maybe f&f option was disabled on family member’s account by PayPal? Family member has to call PayPal about that for their account.

Contact customer services:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/contact-us       

Click “Message Us” or “Call Us” option on the bottom.   

Or reach out to PayPal at Facebook or Twitter.    

https://www.facebook.com/PayPal     

Twitter: @AskPayPal     

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@alenz73 

After entering the amount and a note, you didn’t see an option to switch between f&f/g&s right under the amount on the next step?

Maybe f&f option was disabled on family member’s account by PayPal? Family member has to call PayPal about that for their account.

Contact customer services:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/contact-us       

Click “Message Us” or “Call Us” option on the bottom.   

Or reach out to PayPal at Facebook or Twitter.    

https://www.facebook.com/PayPal     

Twitter: @AskPayPal     

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

bettatek
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue when selling a camper trailer to a friend in the same motorcycle club. I used the Request Payment option not realising that by doing that the transaction would be viewed as a commercial transaction and charged a 2.6% fee accordingly. On a $10,000 purchase to a friend I am now $260 out of pocket and not happy!

Login to Me Too

alenz73
Contributor
Contributor
That's crappy and shady for PayPal to treat money requests as commercial. I'm sorry that happened to you. However, I didn't send her a request either. I didn't even know she was repaying me when she did. She sent me a message and said "hey, I just paid you back."
Login to Me Too

lorlin
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happened to me the other day. Paypal undoubtedly makes a killing by letting this happen to people who are not in the know. Paypal is not consumer-friendly and in the future, when given the choice, I will not use Paypal's services again. 

Login to Me Too

Temp20231001b
Contributor
Contributor

im sorry mam/sir but its your fault and i think so your money was no return not wrong a paypal community ..  like i said its your fault thanks for your question and have a good day.. 🙂

Login to Me Too

alenz73
Contributor
Contributor
1st, I'm the receiver so, no, it's not my fault because I did not initiate the transaction. 2nd, it's a technical issue where the option never came up, therefore this is on PayPal. You really should read the post better before commenting.
Login to Me Too

bettatek
Contributor
Contributor

Alenz73 - I 100% agree with you that it's not your fault as you did not initiate the transaction. I am opting to use direct bank transfers in future rather than PayPal for transfers to/from people I know personally.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Goods/Services Payments.

1. Invoice or Money Request.
2. Send money > Goods/Services.
3. Paypal.me link (if its a personal account then there should be the option to tick a box to make it a goods/services payment before you submit payment).

Friends/Family Payments.

1. Send money > friends / family (or trusted person).
2. Paypal.me link from a personal account where you don't select the option to make it a goods/services payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.