FEE FOR SENDING MONEY TO FRIEND

IMAJWRU
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to send money to a friend using my DEBIT card attached to my checking account. But it is wanting to charge me a fee of over $8.   It should be free. Why is it wanting to charge me?  

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

shan06
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @IMAJWRU 

Thanks for contacting PayPal community!

A fee will be charged if you are using a card to send a "Friends and Family" payment and you check this article for more information.

I hope this information was helpful!
Shantha

Login to Me Too

IMAJWRU
Contributor
Contributor

From PAYPAL website:  

Sending domestic personal transactions

Payment method Fee PayPal balance or a bank account NO FEE

I am trying to send money to a family member using a debit card and its trying to charge me $8.  Yet, according to your website there should be no charge for this transaction.   Please advise how to send a payment without a fee to a family member using a debit card. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@IMAJWRU 

Did you not read what you yourself wrote, free is you fund it from a bank account or your paypal balance.

But its not free if you use a card, you said yourself you are trying to fund it via a debit CARD.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

IMAJWRU
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I read what I wrote Mr. Smart-aleck!  My debit card IS attached directly to my bank account!! I would suggest PAYPAL change their instructions to read that the term "bank account" means using account and routing numbers found on the bottom of a CHECK in order to avoid a fee.  Their instructions are not clear. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@IMAJWRU 

Strange most folks know that in your wallet you have a section for cards and one for bank accounts and can work out the difference.

Also most folks understand the difference between a bank account and a debit card but I have posted a link to help you.

https://www.finder.com/checking-account-vs-debit-card

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.