Does paypal put a hold on the payment until the item is received by the buyer?

MacKenrick
Contributor
Contributor

If I make a purchase from a private party, does Paypal put a hold on the payment until I receive the item?  If so, how do I allow the transaction to proceed after I have received the item?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES 4

MacKenrick
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the link.  It answers part of my question.  What I should have asked is:  Does PayPal ALWAYS put a hold on the payment until the buyer receives the item purchased?  I am buying from a private party and do not want the payment to be released to the Seller, until I receive the item I purchased.  If not is there a way for the Buyer to ask that a hold be put on the payment until the Buyer receives the item purchased?   Thank you for your help. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MacKenrick 

The hold has nothing to do with the buyer, its between paypal and the seller and does not affect your buyer protection at all.

If you win a dispute for non receipt of item or item not as described then the seller has to refund, if they don't then paypal does so under their buyer protection policy.

Paypal then they have to chase the seller to pay them back again. The hold is for new sellers and stops paypal having to chase a seller for those funds if they are already on hold in their paypal balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MacKenrick
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the answer.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.