Delays in paypal bill pay transactions, who can help?

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor

Payments I've made using bill pay have been sent to my billers (American express, utility bills, insurance) in 1-2 days. These show as ACH transactions when received by my billers.

However, in the past month, on more than one occasion paypal delayed paying my bills.

payments made on Nov 28th 2022 (17 days to send)

payments made on Nov 29th 2022 (7 days to send)

payments made on Nov 30th 2022 (6 days to send)

this has now occurred again. a payment sent Dec 14th has not been sent - i know this because a separate payment sent on Dec 15th has already arrived at my biller.

This service is unreliable.

But worse is that paypal reps are unable to provide ACH trace numbers and insist that since paypal took the money from my bank that the transaction was completed. They advise to contact who runs the paypal account at american express. These are not paypal to paypal transactions. Paypal relays the money to the bill pay target via ACH, not to their paypal account.

Has anyone had success in getting help with a transaction like this?

Login to Me Too
173 REPLIES 173

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

I've spoken or chatted with a number of customer service reps at both PayPal and Paymentus over the last week about cc payments.  I'm pretty sure that Paymentus isn't involved in cc payments.  Paymentus confirmed this when I asked about US Bank.  They said that US Bank isn't in their system.

The most credible PayPal rep I spoke with about cc payments said the following.  PayPal does not use any third party companies to make cc payments.  Both parties receive a confirmation email when a payment is made from/to their PayPal account.  The rep could "...clearly see that the amount had been credited to the recipient's PayPal account."  For privacy reasons, the rep wouldn't tell me anything about the recipient's PayPal account.  The rep said that there's a possibility that they have set up an auto clearance or auto withdraw for every payment received.  The rep recommended that I ask the cc company to contact PayPal so that they can assist the cc company to locate their funds.   This is what I have done.

Could it be the cc entity that is causing the delay? This could make sense if the entity receiving the funds is Visa, not individual companies like Chase, US Bank, USAlliance, etc.  If the payments are really PayPal to PayPal, then the cc payments would have to be going to the same PayPal account else how else would one explain the delay for all cc on the same payment date.  This is just conjecture.  I don't know if this is actually what is happening.

Login to Me Too

frugalor
Contributor
Contributor

I want to know if say no one ever complains about the missing payments, will they still be posted after 11 or so business days?

Login to Me Too

glavinebraves47
Contributor
Contributor
@frugalor You must have missed my previous message stating it took 51 days before my October payment posted.
Login to Me Too

frugalor
Contributor
Contributor

@glavinebraves47 Oh wow. 51 days?! That's out of this world.

Login to Me Too

foxcomm
Contributor
Contributor

All four of my PayPal Bill Pay payments sent on 1/4/23 to my credit card companies have still not been received by them as of 1/13 4pm PST. The dispute resolution cases that a PayPal representative filed for me are now being closed as denied. This is crazy!

I have a case open with paymentus but I called today and they have no status to report on any of the missing payments.

Wake up PayPal!

Login to Me Too

joshdavis
Contributor
Contributor

Everyone, please login and see if your payments from 1/4 have posted. Mine has finally arrived for my Amex card from 1/4. Thank god. Please get your stuff together PayPal. This is not acceptable.

Login to Me Too

danielting28
Contributor
Contributor
My 1/4 hasnt posted as of today. Will wait another day
Login to Me Too

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor
My 1/4 did post today.
Login to Me Too

Buckets1
Contributor
Contributor
My Chase payments always post in the middle of the night, so I’m guessing tomorrow for that. Glad to see the 1/4 go through for other people. Appreciate everyone here helping each other out.
Login to Me Too

mattV123
Contributor
Contributor

Still haven't gotten credit for my payment on 1/4

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.