Delays in paypal bill pay transactions, who can help?

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor

Payments I've made using bill pay have been sent to my billers (American express, utility bills, insurance) in 1-2 days. These show as ACH transactions when received by my billers.

However, in the past month, on more than one occasion paypal delayed paying my bills.

payments made on Nov 28th 2022 (17 days to send)

payments made on Nov 29th 2022 (7 days to send)

payments made on Nov 30th 2022 (6 days to send)

this has now occurred again. a payment sent Dec 14th has not been sent - i know this because a separate payment sent on Dec 15th has already arrived at my biller.

This service is unreliable.

But worse is that paypal reps are unable to provide ACH trace numbers and insist that since paypal took the money from my bank that the transaction was completed. They advise to contact who runs the paypal account at american express. These are not paypal to paypal transactions. Paypal relays the money to the bill pay target via ACH, not to their paypal account.

Has anyone had success in getting help with a transaction like this?

Login to Me Too
173 REPLIES 173

barfood
Contributor
Contributor

What is the advantage in sending credit card statements via Paypal instead of just paying via the Credit Cards own AutoPay or their own website for payments?

Login to Me Too

lfk-jjb
Contributor
Contributor
Wow, one of my missing payments posted an hour ago.
Login to Me Too

danielting28
Contributor
Contributor
That is great news. Who did you contact to get this response? 99% of the support are so useless.
Login to Me Too

danielting28
Contributor
Contributor
All my payments got posted except 12/27 and 1/4. So looks like your rep is correct
Login to Me Too

vykor
Contributor
Contributor

@dcatast that's excellent news, thank you for following up so persistently.  did you reach out to Paymentus directly?  if so, did you call or use their support form?  after I found out about Paymentus being Bill Pay's actual processor, I tried to call them via the phone number on their website, but didn't get a useful answer.

Login to Me Too

frugalor
Contributor
Contributor

My 12/27/22 payment finally got credited on 1/11/23.  That's 16 calendar days/11 business days.

I just re-read the beginning of this thread.  Now I wonder if this mess is somewhat normal with PayPal?  I wonder if any of our complaints here, in twitter, or elsewhere like bogleheads makes any difference.  So PayPal bill payments can take anywhere from 1 business day to 11+ business days?

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

My 12/27 payment to US Bank also posted on 1/11.  Still waiting for my 1/4 payments to USAlliance Financial and First Bankcard to post.

Login to Me Too

ebitda
Contributor
Contributor

My 12/27 bill pay to US Bank/Elan finally showed up on 1/11.

Thanks to @dcatast for lighting the fire under Paymentus.

I will have to think about continuing to use Bill Pay. The recurrent problems are probably not worth the headache.

Login to Me Too

TwoForTwo
Contributor
Contributor
None of my bill pay payments sent on 12/27 or 1/4 have posted yet. Still waiting!!!
Login to Me Too

lfk-jjb
Contributor
Contributor
My 2nd missing payment did post sometime yesterday. Now to decide if I want to close my PayPal or not …
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.