Delays in paypal bill pay transactions, who can help?

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor

Payments I've made using bill pay have been sent to my billers (American express, utility bills, insurance) in 1-2 days. These show as ACH transactions when received by my billers.

However, in the past month, on more than one occasion paypal delayed paying my bills.

payments made on Nov 28th 2022 (17 days to send)

payments made on Nov 29th 2022 (7 days to send)

payments made on Nov 30th 2022 (6 days to send)

this has now occurred again. a payment sent Dec 14th has not been sent - i know this because a separate payment sent on Dec 15th has already arrived at my biller.

This service is unreliable.

But worse is that paypal reps are unable to provide ACH trace numbers and insist that since paypal took the money from my bank that the transaction was completed. They advise to contact who runs the paypal account at american express. These are not paypal to paypal transactions. Paypal relays the money to the bill pay target via ACH, not to their paypal account.

Has anyone had success in getting help with a transaction like this?

Login to Me Too
173 REPLIES 173

joshdavis
Contributor
Contributor

I hope so. I am really nervous about all this. Never been late on a payment and always submit payments way before the deadline but this had caused me to get very close on being late. Not fair at all.

Login to Me Too

knicks20
Contributor
Contributor

@Liz0925 I admire your optimism, but the fact that they have been saying the same thing for the last 1.5 weeks makes me doubt that anything was actually done. 

Login to Me Too

frugalor
Contributor
Contributor

I have started a tweet here:  [removed] Please retweet to hopefully get a real engineer to look into the issue.

Login to Me Too

glavinebraves47
Contributor
Contributor

I've had this issue happen multiple times with Paypal as well. The worst was a very large payment sent on 10/24 in which the money never showed up to the recipient. I contacted Paypal a bunch of times, along with the recipient. Paypal kept closing the case stating "the payment was sent successfully." After a while, I decided to file a complaint with CFPB. Paypal responded back with two pages on my Paypal history but did not resolve the issue. I emailed [Removed] (had to adjust this bc it wouldn't let me respond) asking for the trace number to provide to the recipient. After a few back and forth emails, they told me they were still searching for the trace number. Finally they emailed saying the money has been refunded to the original source, all while blaming the problem on the recipient. This did not get resolved until 12/14. I was at the point where I was going to file a lawsuit but I was beyond the small claims threshold.

Login to Me Too

joshdavis
Contributor
Contributor

There are like 9-10+ people who retweeted that. At this point, PayPal has tens of thousands of dollars of our money and cannot even let us know where our money is. This needs to be figured out now or start a lawsuit. Ridiculous this happens and we cannot get any sort of help on top of the fact it is causing late fees and damaging our credit.

Login to Me Too

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor

good news, payments will arrive today and tomorrow.

for weeks everyone i've contacted through paypal has been unable to provide any help or even understand the problem.

paypal's partner in this is paymentus, they were able to see transactions, realize they were not sent, and correct the issue. They acknowledged there was an issue with that day's payments (and 1/4) and it has been corrected.

Login to Me Too

barfood
Contributor
Contributor

Can confirm that one of my 12/27 payments got credited to my water bill (American Water) today, 1/11.  Just need one more 12/27 payment for my sewer bill that I ended up paying directly on the due date already.  So it will apply to next month's bill.

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Is paymentus involved when paying credit cards like US Bank?

Login to Me Too

frugalor
Contributor
Contributor

My Chase payment finally got credited.  Payment date 12/27/2022, Credited on 1/11/2023.  What a mess.  Is PayPal making interest money off these long delayed payments?

Login to Me Too

lfk-jjb
Contributor
Contributor
I’m waiting on my larger (mortgage) to post. Once that does, I am closing my PayPal account.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.