Delays in paypal bill pay transactions, who can help?

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor

Payments I've made using bill pay have been sent to my billers (American express, utility bills, insurance) in 1-2 days. These show as ACH transactions when received by my billers.

However, in the past month, on more than one occasion paypal delayed paying my bills.

payments made on Nov 28th 2022 (17 days to send)

payments made on Nov 29th 2022 (7 days to send)

payments made on Nov 30th 2022 (6 days to send)

this has now occurred again. a payment sent Dec 14th has not been sent - i know this because a separate payment sent on Dec 15th has already arrived at my biller.

This service is unreliable.

But worse is that paypal reps are unable to provide ACH trace numbers and insist that since paypal took the money from my bank that the transaction was completed. They advise to contact who runs the paypal account at american express. These are not paypal to paypal transactions. Paypal relays the money to the bill pay target via ACH, not to their paypal account.

Has anyone had success in getting help with a transaction like this?

Login to Me Too
173 REPLIES 173

vykor
Contributor
Contributor

Count me in as a customer with the same problem. Paypal Bill Pay payment on 12/27 - has yet to post despite it being far more than 5 business days.

Did some digging on my own. According to a marketing deck to the American Financial Services Association from 2021, Paymentus is the third-party that actually sends transactions ( https://afsaonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Paymentus-2021-AFSA-Deck-No-Notes.pdf page 10 in the pdf) on behalf of Paypal. So it's possible Paypal genuinely doesn't know the ACH status of these transactions. Paymentus has customer support listed at https://www.paymentus.com/contact/?form=support I haven't been able to reach anyone useful there though (and given we're technically not Paymentus customers -- Paypal is -- this is a longshot at best)

Extremely frustrated

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

It looks like PayPal is using Xoom to make the payment.  When I click on the link to report a problem, it says "Bill payment via Xoom."  I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.  I don't know anything about Xoom.

Screenshot 2023-01-06 8.45.33 AM.png

Unfortunately, none of the options under report a problem appear to be applicable.

Screenshot 2023-01-06 8.37.48 AM.png

Login to Me Too

vykor
Contributor
Contributor

Xoom is a Paypal subsidiary that is used as a brand for their product in foreign and cross-border payments. If you're in the US and not making a foreign payment, it's more likely that's a bad label in the product user interface.

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

@PayPal_JonK  What is the best way to actually get support on the issue?  Report a problem doesn't provide choices that are relevant to bill pay.

Screenshot 2023-01-06 8.37.48 AM.png

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Support is completely useless at resolving this issue.  PayPal's response to my support request was

"After reviewing your account I noticed the transaction is already completed and the money was successfully sent to the recipient, you can see the status of the transaction if you go to the activity page to review all your transactions made using PayPal."

Then PayPal support immediately closed the chat conversation so I couldn't ask any follow up questions.  Forget about getting someone on the phone.  The support line always says they're too busy, try chat.

This is so frustrating.

Login to Me Too

frugalor
Contributor
Contributor

@Anonymous_User Phone support is useless as well.

Login to Me Too

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor
Payments made on 1/4 and 1/5 are also in the ether. Probably time for some cfpb complaints on 12/27. There’s no reason a company that sends an ACH shouldn’t be able to show the paper trail proof they sent the ACH (trace number).
Login to Me Too

jason51122
Contributor
Contributor
My payment on 12/27 still did not arrive.
Login to Me Too

user762
Contributor
Contributor
My December 27 and January 4 payments haven’t posted either.
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

There are five people in this chat reporting the same issue with their 12/27 payments!

@PayPal_JonK Is there someone in PayPal you can escalate the 12/27 payment issue to?  Perhaps your manager or supervisor?  We are asking for your help.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.