Delays in paypal bill pay transactions, who can help?

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor

Payments I've made using bill pay have been sent to my billers (American express, utility bills, insurance) in 1-2 days. These show as ACH transactions when received by my billers.

However, in the past month, on more than one occasion paypal delayed paying my bills.

payments made on Nov 28th 2022 (17 days to send)

payments made on Nov 29th 2022 (7 days to send)

payments made on Nov 30th 2022 (6 days to send)

this has now occurred again. a payment sent Dec 14th has not been sent - i know this because a separate payment sent on Dec 15th has already arrived at my biller.

This service is unreliable.

But worse is that paypal reps are unable to provide ACH trace numbers and insist that since paypal took the money from my bank that the transaction was completed. They advise to contact who runs the paypal account at american express. These are not paypal to paypal transactions. Paypal relays the money to the bill pay target via ACH, not to their paypal account.

Has anyone had success in getting help with a transaction like this?

Login to Me Too
173 REPLIES 173

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor

payments made 12/27 - still missing

payment to the same billers made 1/3 - arrived.

the biller has told me to get the ACH trace numbers associated with the bill pays since they received no payments since 12/27 for the amounts i've sent.

asking paypal for someone to provide a trace number for an ACH is like talking to something less intelligent than a brick wall.

the most common response from paypal is to have someone tell me "paypal doesn't make mistakes, wait longer", like @PayPal_JonK did, or "have the person running the billers paypal account look again." Of course, these payments aren't being sent to a paypal account, they are sending via ACH.

"Your account will be credited within 2 business days. To avoid late fees, pay your bill early."

well today is the 5th business day and there is no evidence that the ACH has been initiated.

2023-01-04.png

Login to Me Too

foxcomm
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here with Bill Pay to US Bank sent on 12/27/22. Not received by US Bank as of today 1/4/23 and I now have a late payment fee. Talking to PayPal support today they had no way to trace the payment and had me conference call with US Bank customer service to trace from the other side and did not even open a case on the PayPal side to investigate what is happening. Also, there appears to be NO WAY to open a case on bill payments online as there is no selection for payment not received (only refunds and duplicate payments).

Additionally I've seen quite a few Bill Pay scheduled payments in December simply disappear on the payment date I set and not post at all forcing me to login on the specific day they were to be automatically sent and send them manually.

Someone should be fired.

Login to Me Too

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor
The thing that is most aggravating is the attitudes of PayPal reps that insist everything is fine when crowdsourcing data show specific days where the bill pay ACH’s were simply not initiated even though the funds were collected. “wait longer” or “we sent it and the receiving institution didn’t post it” are not acceptable answers.
Login to Me Too

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_JonK  this is now 6 business days and i've seen this exact issue chronicled on bogleheads.com as well - Dec 27th payments.

Payments made on 12/27 by all reports were not sent by paypal.

@PayPal_JonK - i'm not asking you if you know the answer, i don't expect you to, i've read your other responses and you seem very good at your job of solving peoples common problems. There has to be someone within paypal that should be able to say "we sent this payment, the ACH trace number is #############" can you find who that person is and put them in contact with me?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @dcatast, thank you for the compliment - I appreciate it. My apologies I'm unable to reply right away to your concern, we try to reply to as many of our forum user's queries as possible in the order they are received.

@Anonymous_User, @frugalor, @foxcomm, and @dcatast, unfortunately, I don't have a specific team I can point you in the direction of for this particular concern. I have double-checked our logs and it doesn't look like we have any widely reported issues on this specific topic. At this time the best recommendation I can make is to continue to work with our Customer Support for any updates. 

Again, I'm sorry for the delay. I hope this is wrapped up soon, 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

foxcomm
Contributor
Contributor

Jon --

What would be super helpful would be to PM all of us continuing to have missing payment issues with direct contact information for a responsible person at Paypal who will TAKE OWNERSHIP of the missing payment issues and will open a official ticket to get ACH traces done.

This is a VERY serious matter because of possible impacts on our credit histories as well as late and interest fees.

Thank You

Login to Me Too

frugalor
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_JonK There has to be some issue.  Multiple people are reporting similar problems across multiple payees.  In my case, PayPal has taken money out of my bank, but didn't send it to my payee.  Could you please help finding the bottom of this?  Is there a middle man between PayPal and the payee?  Could you check with them to see what happened?

Login to Me Too

frugalor
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here with a payment to Chase Freedom Flex done on 12/27.  I called paypal customer support and they said the payment was completed.  I called Chase and they said they didn't receive the payment.

Chase asked me for a transmittal report to show proof of payment.  Paypal couldn't provide it.  They could only give me a re-print of the transaction confirmation.

Please Paypal.  Please fix this issue.

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue with 12/27 payment.

payment made 12/27 - missing

payment to the same biller made 12/28 - arrived 12/29

payment to the same biller made 12/31 - arrived 1/4

Login to Me Too

aboglehead123
Same issue for me re 12/27 payment to Chase not posted yet.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.