Cross Border Payment and Subsequent Conversion by PayPal?

kiararden
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe I don't know the site that well.

Can't find info on cross border payments.

I have a CDN as well as USD amount in my account.

When someone wants to pay money (through invoice) into my account in the US, I'm not sure if I'm invoicing in US or Canadian money.

If they pay in USD, does PayPal convert it to CDN right away?

Do I have the option to leave it in USD?

Thanks anyone.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_JonK

Hello @kiararden,

This is a great question. 

If you invoice a buyer in USD from your US account, and their financial is registered as a USD financial, then no conversion applies, and you should receive USD into your US PayPal account. 

If you invoice a buyer in CDN from your US account, and they pay with a financial registered as USD, then the conversion will occur on their end, and you should receive CDN into your US PayPal account. 

However, if their payment is crossing an international border, there may still be a cross-border fee. Here's a Help Center article that dives into this a bit more: What are the cross border fees when selling international?

I hope that helps!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

kiararden
Contributor
Contributor

Good to know.

Thanks for clarification.
It got a little confusing and wasn't clear.

I'm in Canada with PayPal Canada account. I have US funds and CDN funds.

I invoice a US customer from Canada in US dollars and it comes to Canada in US dollars into my US fund with only the bogus cross-border fee. Got it!

All I really wanted to do was charge and receive USD. Not that clear.

Thanks again.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.