Charged the Wrong Card

bml619
Contributor
Contributor
I have a recurring charge on my paypal account every month. It has always been charged to my preferred payment method. For some reason this month it was charged to my back up card. There was money in my account on the preferred payment so it shouldn’t have been declined and they both are debit cards so it’s not a debit vs credit situation either. How do I keep this from happening again?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @bml619,

Thank you for your post!

I am sorry to hear what has happened. This could have been caused by numerous reasons, for example there may have been an issue with your card issuer at the time of the payment or the payment may have been effected by a technical issue causing the incorrect card to be charged.

To ensure the correct card is set up to use for any future recurring payments, simply follow the steps here. If there are any issues with the card you choose, your back up funding source will always be used. 

I hope this helps!

- Rachel 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @bml619,

Thank you for your post!

I am sorry to hear what has happened. This could have been caused by numerous reasons, for example there may have been an issue with your card issuer at the time of the payment or the payment may have been effected by a technical issue causing the incorrect card to be charged.

To ensure the correct card is set up to use for any future recurring payments, simply follow the steps here. If there are any issues with the card you choose, your back up funding source will always be used. 

I hope this helps!

- Rachel 

Login to Me Too

Filip88
New Community Member

Hi,

PayPal automatically charged me on wrong card, and not preferred card, transaction is still pending. I have emailed seller, wrote in resolution centre. Can this transaction be stopped before it is complete?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @Filip88,

Welcome to our community forum and thank you for your post!

I understand your concern about the wrong payment method used for the transaction. To provide one of the safest online payment services, our internal security system reviews every payment before it's approved. Occasionally, we must change a payment method if the system notices the pattern associated with higher-than-normal risk.

You can only cancel a payment that is in a pending status and has a "Cancel" link next to it. You can find more information about canceling pending payments here. If the payment you sent pending for 30 days, it will be cancelled automatically and refunded back to your original payment method. You can learn how refunds are credited here.

I hope this information helps!

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.