Charged fee for requesting money although it's supposed to be free

niwenwen
Contributor
Contributor

I requested £10 from 'friends and family' from personal account to personal account to test, and when I received the money there was a fee of £0.79 leaving only £10. Although it says clearly here:

"No cost to request

No cost when requesting money from friends and family online with PayPal, making it easier than ever to get paid back. "

I also thought it quite strange to request £10 and not receive that amount...if there was a fee despite their claims to the contrary, surely it should be added on top when the money is sent to make sure I actually receive the amount I requested.

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

niwenwen
Contributor
Contributor

>ok after I enter the amount i get 2 options goods/services OR friends and family.

HOWEVER as you have now said the other person is not in the UK then in some countries they do not have the friends/family option so to have saved time always best to cite countries involved. Also do they have a business account? If yes then new rules state they can't accept friends/family payments.

As stated in the original message, it's a personal account to personal account transfer.

I wasn't aware there were any limitations for certain countries, is there any documentation on that?

So to be clear:

Send money > friends / family (or trusted person).

Is a payment to friends and family and incurs no fee, while:

"Request money Ask a friend to pay you back—the friendly way."

Is not to receive money from friends or family at all but rather is a goods/service payment.

And a personal paypal.me link which no doubt doesn't mention the word family or friends in it is in fact a friend/family payment with no fee. It's like something out of Alice Through the Looking Glass.

Login to Me Too

niwenwen
Contributor
Contributor

double post

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@niwenwen 

I listed the goods/services options and the friends/family options clearly in my very first post.

Its not complicated at all if you look at the list.

And again as I said friends/family payments (if available to the country you are sending to) are free only if funded via a bank account or balance, if you use a c.c. you pay a fee.

As for countries that can't accept f/f payments there are loads as paypal is 'country specific' and the rules change per country, I do not have a list of those countries. However if you want to wade though each countries website and click at the top of each one you will see if the friends/family option is available for that country.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

niwenwen
Contributor
Contributor

>I listed the goods/services options and the friends/family options clearly in my very first post.

From your first post:

Goods/Services Payments.

1. Invoice or Money Request.
2. Send money > Goods/Services.
3. Paypal.me link (if its a personal account then there should be the option to tick a box to make it a goods/services payment before you submit payment).

Literally nothing about this 'Request money from a friend' option: "Request money Ask a friend to pay you back—the friendly way."

>Its not complicated at all if you look at the list.

Nothing about money requests from friends ANYWHERE in your list.

>However if you want to wade though each countries website and click at the top of each one you will see if the friends/family option is available for that country.

Ok it's something else they keep well hidden.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@niwenwen 

That's because you can ''request money'' from a friend by using one of the above options in the family/friends list but you can't use a MONEY REQUEST as that is a goods/services payment. 

AGAIN >>>>>

Goods/Services Payments.

1. Invoice or Money Request.
2. Send money > Goods/Services.
3. Paypal.me link (if its a personal account then there should be the option to tick a box to make it a goods/services payment before you submit payment).

Friends/Family Payments.

1. Send money > friends / family (or trusted person).
2. Paypal.me link from a personal account where you don't select the option to make it a goods/services payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

niwenwen
Contributor
Contributor

>That's because you can ''request money'' from a friend by using one of the above options in the family/friends list

???

For literally the BILLIONTH time, I used this option:

"REQUEST money Ask a FRIEND to pay you back—the FRIENDLY way."

I'm gonna repeat it because I really don't think you got it:

"REQUEST money Ask a FRIEND to pay you back—the FRIENDLY way."

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@niwenwen 

I have spelt it out for you.

You cannot USE A MONEY REQUEST it is NOT a friends/family option.

For the final time YOU CAN ONLY REQUEST FUNDS VIA A PAYPAL.ME LINK FOR A F/F PAYMENT AND NOT A MONEY REQUEST.

Those are the FACTS, if you don't like them then you are just going to live with it aren't you.

I have clearly stated the friends/family options and am not going to waste anymore of my time on you.

Most folks understand it on the first post, I give up with you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too
Solved

niwenwen
Contributor
Contributor

>I have clearly stated the friends/family options and am not going to waste anymore of my time on you.

Clearly stated? My god. I think what you're struggling greatly to say is this:

"The request money option clearly states it's to pay a friend back but it's actually nothing to do with that at all, it's actually a business related goods and service money request. I realise how confusing that looks the way it is and I've no idea why they present it like that, but that's just the way it is."

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@niwenwen 

🤔  🙄

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.