Change Backup Payment Method

kylerasmussen
New Community Member

I just made the error of selecting the wrong payment method so now I have a large purchase set to pull from a bank account with insufficient funds. I need to change my backup payment method to my credit card instead of my debit card so when that payment bounces it won't overdraft my checking account. I have changed my "preferred payment method" already but when I look at the details of the transaction in question it still lists my debit card as the backup source.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kylerasmussen

Payment methods including back up can't be changed retroactively on the transaction. If there are not enough funds in the debit card either, the transaction will decline. 

The thing about bank payments:

If a payment is funded through a funding source that is a bank account, and that bank account rejects the payment because of insufficient (NSF) or uncollected funds, PayPal at its discretion may attempt to resend or represent the entry up to two (2) additional times. If the payment transaction has failed for insufficient or uncollected funds, representment of a transaction may occur even if you have attempted to add funds to your PayPal account or if the recipient has initiated a return of the payment to your account. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kylerasmussen

Payment methods including back up can't be changed retroactively on the transaction. If there are not enough funds in the debit card either, the transaction will decline. 

The thing about bank payments:

If a payment is funded through a funding source that is a bank account, and that bank account rejects the payment because of insufficient (NSF) or uncollected funds, PayPal at its discretion may attempt to resend or represent the entry up to two (2) additional times. If the payment transaction has failed for insufficient or uncollected funds, representment of a transaction may occur even if you have attempted to add funds to your PayPal account or if the recipient has initiated a return of the payment to your account. 

Login to Me Too

Fostera
New Community Member

This info was greatly appreciated and helpful.

Login to Me Too

thumblespuzz
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, there was a bunch of information he didn't ask for about all the bad things that were about to happen to him, and no information about how to fix the problem. Is there a way to un-mark this as "solved"? Nobody asked about changing a setting retroactively.

For the record, I would also like to know how to change my backup payment method. Please?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Because you simply can’t change payment methods after you checkout, **bleep**!!!!

You can ask the merchant to cancel and refund but might have consequences, especially bank payments as they are automated.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.