Canceling a Payment

AstridVB
Contributor
Contributor

So earlier today I sent someone money over Paypal. I asked them if they had received the money I sent, but they said no. They still have their PayPal account but don't actively use it anymore and don't remember the login credentials. I want to get my money back and cancel the transaction. I thought I would be able to since the payment was never accepted, but I don't have the option to do so for some reason. I wanted to know why I cannot cancel the request and what I can do to change that.

Thank You.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AstridVB 

Well all he needs to do is use the 'forgotten password' option OR contact customer services for help accessing his account.

Either way your payment has successfully completed to his paypal account balance. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AstridVB 

What does it say on the transaction on your paypal account?

What account type does the recipient have?

Which paypal option did you use to send the funds?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

AstridVB
Contributor
Contributor

The recipient uses a personal account and the payment type was friends and family. The tranatsaction says "money sent", although the recipient did not accept the money.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AstridVB 

Hmmm how much of a close mate or family member are they?

Only this is a scammers trick.

If the funds are marked as SENT and not unclaimed then they have successfully completed to the email address you sent the funds to that is linked to an active Paypal account.

Scammers will say they can't access the account OR can't receive the funds knowing that as you sent it using the friends/family option there is nothing you can do about it.

However if they could not access the account, paypal customer services could help them do so quite easily.

If the funds did not transfer through to them then they would show as unclaimed or pending on your Paypal account and NOT sent. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

AstridVB
Contributor
Contributor

The individual I send money to was my father. He said he does not remember the password to his account because he almost never uses his account. The money in my account is gone and the transaction simply says "Money Sent" but my dad said he does not have the money. None of this really makes any sense...

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AstridVB 

Well all he needs to do is use the 'forgotten password' option OR contact customer services for help accessing his account.

Either way your payment has successfully completed to his paypal account balance. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.