Can't pay with PayPal balance

tutorgrrl
Contributor
Contributor

I'm from Canada but I have US funds on my business PayPal balance and the US online retail company (Everlan) allows PayPal at checkout. However, when I go to select PayPal as my method of payment, PayPal only allows me to select either my bank account or credit card as payments but not my balance. And yes, I have changed my preferred payment to be my balance first for online shopping. Does anyone know why it's not letting me select my balance to pay?

Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

tutorgrrl
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, that is exactly what happened to me where the PayPal balance option did not show up. That is why I started this topic in the first place. But like I said, once I clicked the CC option, it didn't take money from my CC at all. It took it from my PayPal balance first, and if there wasn't enough, it would have taken it from my CC.

Login to Me Too

SteveOx

SOLVED 2-2021: At some point PayPal must have started requiring that in order to use the available balance it must be transferred to a PayPay "Cash Account". However, they made the process extremely confusing buy listing may other options and the associated fees. It seems that the "Cash Account" has no fee, but you have to accept the terms and enter some private info. After which, the main page "Balance Available" display is quite clear.

Login to Me Too

tutorgrrl
Contributor
Contributor

Ooops sorry! I might have misread your reply.  So I selected the credit card option and it said that it will take my balance first and the my credit card.

Login to Me Too

danbethel
Contributor
Contributor

Canadian Here, I also cant pay tagged with my paypal account, I dont carry a balance

as i have never needed to for any of my purchases, My linked bank account does have the funds

needed to cover the cost... however i am thinking this is more a tagged issue than a paypal one.

When i proceed to pay, the page brings up my paypal account as expected, asks me to log in

choose if i want paypal to take from my bank or credit card, i choose my bank

then it shows that loading like progress circle, then i get a message that i have

successfully paid for the subscription, however my tagged account clearly shows i didnt

pay for any subscription, and my paypal account shows zero activity relating to tagged.

Login to Me Too

Marymaieandbo17
Contributor
Contributor
This is that crazy stuff i don't like
Login to Me Too

mindgem
Contributor
Contributor
There is NO SOLUTION for this problem. Paypal force us to give out our credit card info to evey shady company on the web even though we have enough balance on our paypal accounts and has set balance as the preffered method. Hate it. Its stupid and cheap just for paypal yo hijack us to give them info.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mindgem 

You wouldn't be able to use funds in your paypal balance unless they are in the correct currency as the person you are paying accepts, so that is why you have to fund some international transactions via a card when paypal can do a currency conversion for you.

BUT if you convert the funds in your paypal balance to the correct currency and then go in and mark that currency primary for that transaction (and change it back after if you need to) then you should be able to use your balance.

Lastly you don't give your credit card details to 'every shady company' as the whole point of using paypal is that they keep your card information confidential when you use paypal to pay a seller and fund it via a credit card..........the seller does not see your card information. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mindgem
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thx for the reply.

I'm sure that's not it because in this unusual case I actually have quite a few different currencys on my Paypal account because I do international business. Not intentionally but clients sometime don't realize and pay with their own currency. So I do have USD, CAD, SEK and a few more and in this particular case its via Google Play, an app. Paid with USD which I have.

I think its more likely that Paypal force the credic card info to stipulate easier transactions in the future for their customers which is a terrible thing for us customers of course, the convenience makes it easier to spend and they know it.  Or it could be that the company I'm buying from force it for them to have the data, same case. This case Google.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mindgem 

Yes its true that for some ''in paypals eyes'' riskier transactions either the merchant or paypal only allows the c.c. option.

But normally thats for something like virtual / digital transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

impulsively

@tutorgrrl  I have this same issue periodically as well. I am also Canadian - though with a personal, not business Paypal account - and my Paypal primary currency has always been set to USD. My preferred payment is also set to be Paypal balance first. This issue flares up occasionally, like today - I received Paypal funds in USD, and several times today while making Black Friday purchases on Canadian websites, the Paypal balance option showed up along with my credit cards and bank account (I chose to use my credit car, opting to save my USD for a purchase on an American website). Now, I am trying to complete a purchase on an American website, and while I have more than enough funds in my Paypal balance to cover this, when I click the pay with Paypal option, after logging in, the only options I see are my credit cards and bank account - no Paypal balance anywhere. What gives?! I purposely saved these Paypal funds so that I wouldn't have to deal with the unfavourable exchange rate. Really quite a **bleep** off and it doesn't seem like there is a solution thus far. I wish someone could pinpoint what the issue is - is it on the retailer side, where sometimes they don't accept a Paypal balance? Or is it an issue in my account, maybe there is something still wonky with having a Canadian account with US funds set to be primary? Or something else? It's so frustrating.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.