Booking.com Payment that didnt go through, money still on hold

lenarg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, 

Yesterday I was trying to book aplace in booking.com site and I was trying to use PayPal as my payment method. I put my Paypal info and logged in, so the money got on hold in my bank account, but the booking wouldnt go throughbecause of some error from the Booking side.

Today the money are still showing on hold in my bank account

Why wouldnt they still be released? Could someone help with this? Is there some action I should do?

Thanks,

Lena

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lenarg 

When you pay a company then it is often pending or awaiting authorisation until that company processes your order and captures the pending payment.

If they don't process the order and capture that payment then the pending status times out at 30 days post-payment and returns back to your funding source.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lenarg 

What does it say next to the transaction in your paypal account?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

lenarg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @kernowlass thanks for your answer

It does not show at all as a transaction only on the notifications section I have a notification saying the following:

"Pending payment worth x EUR On September 9, 2022, you authorized a payment of x EUR to your card x. If the payment is canceled for any reason, the outstanding amount will not be charged. It may take a few days for this to appear on your card statement."

Thanks, 

Lena

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lenarg 

When you pay a company then it is often pending or awaiting authorisation until that company processes your order and captures the pending payment.

If they don't process the order and capture that payment then the pending status times out at 30 days post-payment and returns back to your funding source.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

lenarg
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, so I would have to wait 30 days to get the money that is on hold? Isn't there an action I could do for the money to released sooner? Thanks, Lena
Login to Me Too

PayPal_RebeccaN

Hello @lenarg

Thank you for your post and welcome to the PayPal Community Forum! 

As @kernowlass mentioned, this would be a 30-day hold for a pending authorisation/order. Thank you for your help, @kernowlass 🙂 

The only way this can be taken off hold sooner is if the merchant cancels the order from their end. 

If the authorisation is not cancelled after 30 days, please reach out to our customer service team directly to have this cancelled manually. However, PayPal does not have permission to cancel this manually until 30-days pass. 

Have a lovely day! 

Rebecca 

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

lenarg
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you @kernowlass thank you @PayPal_RebeccaN I'll try to identify the merchant and reach them, and if not possible I will wait out the 30day period
Login to Me Too

ArrenCarson
Contributor
Contributor
My payment went through and it is shown in transactions but money is still pending (paypal took money 2 times from my bank account). When will I get my money back? Or what should I do?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @ArrenCarson,

Welcome to the PayPal Community!

I do understand your concern with this. When you attempt to make a payment, the amount can be temporarily charged to your bank/card. This is an authorization charge.

If only one transaction shows in your PayPal account, then the merchant will only complete one order. Therefore, the other temporary charge will be removed from your bank within 72 hours. This is normal practice for online payments, so no need to be worried if this happens again.

I hope this helps!

- Rachel 

Login to Me Too

Paris23
New Community Member
I am having the exact same problem, however, nothing is showing up on my PayPal transaction history of the payment being processed or pending. This only shows up in my bank account that this is pending (PAYPAL BOOKIN.Com) when I contacted booking.com they had no record of this?? When I was redirected from PayPal back to the website it didn’t register that I had made the payment! Will my payment be released if the Mercia t has no record of this payment? Also very concerned that there is no record of this with either party, and only evidence is in my bank account…
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.