After three years on PayPal

jonathonbee
New Community Member

After three years on PayPal, all of a sudden I'm getting charged a 5% fee for transfer from out of the country into my account. The agreement says the fee should not exceed $5. I paid almost $19 on a $400 transfer. Can anyone help me with this since it's impossible to get direct help from PayPal?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jonathonbee wrote:

After three years on PayPal, all of a sudden I'm getting charged a 5% fee for transfer from out of the country into my account. The agreement says the fee should not exceed $5. I paid almost $19 on a $400 transfer. Can anyone help me with this since it's impossible to get direct help from PayPal?

You are receiving money, correct? According to the fee chart, the 5% with $4.99 max fee, plus any applicable currency conversion is for sending money internationally.

If the payment is friends and family, there’s “No fee (when no currency conversion is involved)” to receive.

If the funds were sent to you as goods and services payment then either of these two commercial fee rates may apply:

If sending $400, the amount that will go to fees is $18.05 and the recipient will receive $381.95. That's 4.51% going to fees, effectively.

* Using International fee rate of (2.89% + 1.50% = 4.39% + $.49 (Send/Receive Goods and Services, Donations))

Or 

If sending $400, the amount that will go to fees is $18.45 and the recipient will receive $381.55. That's 4.61% going to fees, effectively.

* Using International fee rate of (2.99% + 1.50% = 4.49% + $.49 (Credit and Debit Cards))

If none of these are correct, contact customer service to speak with a rep and they can check for you:

https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/contact-us

Click “Call Us” option on the bottom.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.