Adding funds from a prepaid visa card

misskeylara
Contributor
Contributor
Hello! I purchased a prepaid visa card at a local grocery store and am trying to add the funds to my account to send to my fiancé's account since he is out of town, but it's not recognizing the card for some reason. I really need to send this money to him today. How am I able to put the funds on my account to send to him? Thanks in advance! Alli
Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

misskeylara
Contributor
Contributor
I do appreciate your help, my apologies for the misunderstanding on both our parts. It felt like I was being ambushed, that's all. I do realize it's difficult to understand tone through messaging. I'll check out the link, thanks for providing it! 🙂 have a good afternoon!
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

nest time,try Paypal my cash card. 

Login to Me Too

expresidents
Contributor
Contributor

And maybe perhaps be more precise with the English language: "from" means only one thing.

Login to Me Too

Temp20230525J
Contributor
Contributor
I asked a few questions earlier about adding money to my PayPal account with a loadable Visa card I did a little research and basically found what hopefully is answer from someone else's reply from here they basically said get a barcode from your settings then go to 7-11 or Walgreens use my Visa and get some money from the ATM and go to the cashier and tell them you want to add money to your PayPal account and let them scan the barcode your PayPal account has given you hopefully it works. Also they said that you have use the same card you elected to be your primary payment provider being the reload able visa which is my Unemployment Visa that US Bank issues for people who are currently collecting money from Unemployment well I guess I see if it works tomorrow when I either go to 7-11 or Walgreens again thank you for your time.
Login to Me Too

ojibweguy
Contributor
Contributor

sharpiemarker wrote

WAIT!  Are you trying to add funds from your prepaid card to your PayPal account?  Can't do that.  If you're gonna send money, do it but select it as the payment method. What error message are you getting?  It is not appearing as a payment method when you send money?

And besides, why make an extra step to add money from the card to account when you can just select the card when you send the money?  To avoid fees?  See this is why PayPal does not let you add funds to PayPal balance from cards.  That is a cash advance and avoiding fees which is a violation of PayPal TOS.

Yes what she said, calm down! "avoiding fees" violation of PayPal? WHAT? I'm in the same boat as she is, I want to transfer all my straggling money from a handful of prepaid cards to my PayPal! Fees are my own concern, none of Paypal's business, they have my money in my PayPal account, they'll find a way to get a piece of it! Besides my end usage for the bundled funds is to make a purchase off of eBay! Do you still feel that this is a violation? You know who paid for that money on these prepaid cards right? These aren't exactly food stamps here! Every statement you make seems ill thought out!

Login to Me Too

KDBug
New Community Member

I add money to my PP this way since I no longer have a bank account. Not all prepaid cards are the same, get one that you can register online where it will register as a "credit card". Those will have you register your home address. I send a paypal money request to my other e-mail address that is not linked to paypal. When I open the money request from my other e-mail, It gives the option to log into paypal to pay, or log in as a guest. Log in as a guest and you can send the funds. That will charge you a small fee *around $2-$3. But worth it when you need to get funds. Hope this helps 🙂 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

PayPal gives these two options to add funds to PayPal account:

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/adding-money-to-your-paypal-balance-faq2404

Anything else is done at your own risk.  And I don't see the point of having to open a whole 'nother account and perform extra steps, pay any applicable fees, just to put the funds in your balance when you can just as easily use the card itself to fund the payment during checkout or when you go about sending the money.  Too many extra steps.  And you get charged fees any way if sending money via card.  Not to mention possible trouble from PayPal for making cash advance to yourself.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

supergorg
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,i would wanna ask you how you do that?I tried to do it,the first time i succeded,the 2nd 3rd and 4th time succeded after i changed my name a couple of times,but now nothing happens i only get the error message ''we were unable to complete your payment right now.please try again later''.If you have an answer in this please contact me.

Login to Me Too

LucasLucasLucas
Contributor
Contributor
I was given a pre-paid American Express debit card which does charge a five dollar fee every month. I would like to get the money off of it. As far as I can tell there does appear to be the possibility I can link the card to PayPal and send the funds to a third party, but, it does not appear to be possible to transfer the funds right to my own PayPal or bank. I do not see why this should qualify as any "cash advance," of which, I am not clear as to the definition, any more than I understand why my desire ought to be considered shady by any standard whatsoever. What I think tends towards dishonesty is the way the card is designed to be difficult to "zero out." It would make the card less difficult to "zero out" if it were easier to pay/send money to myself with the card; not that I view it as PayPal's duty to help me do so, my point only being that I do not see why my desire to spend my money how I want should render me embarrassed toward my debit card company.
Login to Me Too

milksama

Like many others, I came here in the hopes that PayPal might offer the ability to transfer funds off a prepaid card. I will be very specific with my situation, so as not to generate any doubts as to the legality of my intentions or evoke reprimands from a community volunteer for a thought crime I haven't even thought of, yet.

A couple months ago I made an online purchase, incentivized by a "rebate." Some years ago, rebates would be distributed in the form of a check you could deposit at your local bank by which you would receive the funds into your account after a few business days. Manufacturers have since gotten smarter. Now, you get your rebate in the form of a prepaid credit card. Many places you try to use these prepaid cards put a $1 hold on the card and other places make it more difficult still, preventing you from combining multiple forms of payment. To remember you are in a Indiana Jones-esque room with the walls closing in, my card has a $3 "monthly maintenance fee" ("waived" the first six months) that is assessed until the balance reaches zero.

The way I see these funds, I am the owner, but they were given me in a way that makes them difficult to access in their entirety. Why cut up the card when there is still $1.18 on it? 

While it is unfortunate PayPal is unable to offer a service to convert these funds, I wanted to report there are businesses that can. I just purchased a gift card through the website of one of the internet's biggest online retailers using the very last remaining penny on my card and was able to do so without a hold. Just sharing my experience for others, like myself, who come to this thread with the same question I had.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.