Adding funds from a prepaid visa card

misskeylara
Contributor
Contributor
Hello! I purchased a prepaid visa card at a local grocery store and am trying to add the funds to my account to send to my fiancé's account since he is out of town, but it's not recognizing the card for some reason. I really need to send this money to him today. How am I able to put the funds on my account to send to him? Thanks in advance! Alli
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

WAIT!  Are you trying to add funds from your prepaid card to your PayPal account?  Can't do that.  If you're gonna send money, do it but select it as the payment method. What error message are you getting?  It is not appearing as a payment method when you send money?

And besides, why make an extra step to add money from the card to account when you can just select the card when you send the money?  To avoid fees?  See this is why PayPal does not let you add funds to PayPal balance from cards.  That is a cash advance and avoiding fees which is a violation of PayPal TOS.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Did you register the card at the card website with same info as your PayPal account?

Login to Me Too

Temp20230525I
Yes on which website
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@misskeylara

Paypal doesn't accept all prepaid cards and yours sounds as if it is not acceptable.

Have you been able to confirm the card first?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

misskeylara
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for replying so quickly! I *thought* it accepted it..I really didn't have an issue adding it to my account.
Login to Me Too

Temp20230525I
It accepted but it didn't add to my card said it was a problem adding my money to my prepaid card
Login to Me Too

Vanessa149
New Community Member
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

WAIT!  Are you trying to add funds from your prepaid card to your PayPal account?  Can't do that.  If you're gonna send money, do it but select it as the payment method. What error message are you getting?  It is not appearing as a payment method when you send money?

And besides, why make an extra step to add money from the card to account when you can just select the card when you send the money?  To avoid fees?  See this is why PayPal does not let you add funds to PayPal balance from cards.  That is a cash advance and avoiding fees which is a violation of PayPal TOS.

Login to Me Too

misskeylara
Contributor
Contributor
Okay, calm down. I don't use PayPal too often which is obviously why I'm here. Don't fly off the handle and yell at me for a simple question. I wasn't trying to avoid anything, actually. So don't accuse me of doing so. I figured it would be easier to take physical cash, purchase a prepaid Visa card, and add the funds there. I wasn't trying to do anything wrong, so chill out.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Didn't mean it like that or to yell. It was for emphasis than anything before you get your account limited or blocked.

Users do end up here asking why they have problems with a transaction, performing an action or their account. Then come to find out they either can't get a refund because they send a personal payment for goods to save some money and help the seller avoid PayPal fees.  One user ended up getting charges backs for thousands of dollars trying to help someone withdraw money from cards.  Was asking questions trying to get to the cause of the problem.  We do not have access others' accounts so we ask questions and have to presume possible scenarios to get at the heart of the problem.

If you wanted to add cash to your PayPal account, use this:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ppcash

With prepaid cards, select the card as payment method to send payment because you can only add funds to balance with bank or through PayPal Cash at register.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.