$10 Shipstation Fee Forced On US??!!!

sim2
Contributor
Contributor

After being forced to sign up for Shipstation if I wanted to ship via PP, it was simply click here - give my basic account info and put in payment details to pay for shipping. There was no information given about how the whole process worked OR that we are being forced into a subscription with a $10 monthly fee. Without that information being given and us expressly giving our consent to use the service and signup for the subscription - how on earth is SS and PP allowed to legally charge us??? I had a $10 fee taken out of my account on Oct 31st. The order itself has no information so when I saw it go through I had no clue what it was for. I hadn't purchased any shipping labels. I disputed the charge. I'm guessing it was a subscription fee?? But an illegal one. However after disputing the charge - Paypal declined it saying I had to prove I didn't give permission. WTF? They still haven't told me what the charge was for?? How the hell do I prove something that wasn't asked for, something I wasn't informed about and something I never gave? As a vendor, when a customer disputes a charge, I have to prove how I provided all the necessary information and how the customer did not abide by my terms and conditions not the other way around. But when PP and SS are the vendors they apparently think they can do what they like?? Everybody who uses SS - check your account for this $10 fee for a worse service with less functionality!

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sim2 

I suspect that $10 is put towards your future labels:

https://help.shipstation.com/hc/en-us/articles/360045863851-Why-was-I-charged-10-when-my-label-cost-...

But I am also reading different things on the net like after the first 30 days they start charging $9, or they don’t charge at all.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

sim2
Contributor
Contributor

Perhaps - but I used it for weeks without such a charge. Even if it's a prepayment - they need to 1. inform you 2. obtain your permission before making such charges at the time of signing up! Still illegal!

Login to Me Too

Kipbmx
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same thing happen to me on 11/10/2021. Random $10 charge from Ship Station with no explanation. I contacted PayPal customer support and quickly the agent agreed with me that it seemed like a bogus charge and he stated that as long as you're using your PayPal account to access Ship Station there were no monthly subscription fees. He stated that if you set up a separate account with Ship Station they would, but NOT as long as your printing shipping labels through PayPal. The PayPal cs rep also stated they had been having a lot of problems with Ship Station over the past few weeks. I reiterated to the PayPal rep, just to be certain, there's NO MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION FEE RIGHT? He responded NO. If you don't have your PayPal account set to receive emails for all transactions I would suggest it as you may be able to catch unfair charges!

Login to Me Too

jjjpbr
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happaned to me but I was charged $14.99 yesterday.. I disputed the charge and opened a case file. Paypal wrote me back with this:

"We've completed our review of your unauthorized activity case, and we’ve determined there was no unauthorized use. 

The payment in question was sent as part of a billing agreement you previously set up with the merchant.

We've now canceled this agreement for you to prevent any other unwanted transactions.  Moving forward please be sure to review all your active billing agreements. If you need a refund for a payment sent using an active billing agreement, please contact the merchant directly."

I never agreed to any billing agreement costing $14.99.. I'm still fighting it but it seems like a scam.. Paypal rips you off and then investigates itself.. Never mind that I tried to use Shipstation last week and it was a total failure, all of my labels cost the same no matter what  weights, sizes etc that I put in. 

Login to Me Too

sim2
Contributor
Contributor

So I called and spoke to Paypal support about the dispute of the charge I still have no idea what it's for and they couldn't tell me either. When I told them the dispute had been rejected, they lodged a second dispute. It was too was also just rejected saying I had to provide proof? Proof of what??? How freaking dodgy is this? What gives them to right to pull money out of your account without being accountable???

Login to Me Too

bucko59
Contributor
Contributor

now you got me nervous. I just went through the Shipstation sign up, did not see anything about free trial, or "I agree to pay $9 a month". As it turns out I couldn't even print the label I wanted, bad address or something. I will be checking for bogus charges. I already contacted SS and told them to cancel my account.

Login to Me Too

cherubino3
Contributor
Contributor

What do you mean $10? I suddenly got an $11.40 charge and went, excuse me? What is this **bleep**?

I don't think I should have to pay for shipping if I barely use it. Multiorder shipping used to be free!

Shippo has a free account, so I am going to try it.

Login to Me Too

karenjean
Contributor
Contributor
I got an $11.16 charge today too. What is that about?
Login to Me Too

NedStobas
New Community Member

I'm now going through the same issue with multiple charges they can not explain or help me with. This is truly negligent on paypals part. They swap you over and then can't help you and give you the run around. VERY unprofessional

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.