Paypal Refund Missing

Scott_SK
Contributor
Contributor

I made a purchase of $569 on July 20. Since I only purchase via Paypal and don't sell, I keep my PP balance at zero. This means that my $569 purchase was taken directly out of my bank account during the night on 7/21 and showed up later that day on my bank statement as a $569 debit to Paypal, as it normally wood. So far, everything OK. I got a message later during the day on 7/21 saying that my item hadn't been available, my order was immediately cancelled and my $569 refunded back to my bank through PP.

I immediately checked my PP balance and the refund had already been returned to PP for return to my bank.I expected the $569 to show up in my bank statement the next day, 7/22 but it didn't. PP showed it up as a "return pending" to my bank at the end of business on 7/22. By mid day on 7/25, the money still wasn't in my bank account and the refund was still showing up on PP as "pending". That was now almost 3 business days since PP got the refund from the vendor but since I the money still wasn't in my bank account, I called PP.

The person I spoke to said that the problem was likely with my bank, that she would look into it but the best she could guarantee was that the money would be back in my bank account by EOB, this Friday 7/29/22 (Wow...7 business days to complete a refund when I had done nothing wrong but let PP take money out of my bank account to complete a purchase I made).

Today I am even more concerned however since checking my PP account now shows that the refund doesn't even show "pending" but simply states now that the refund was paid directly to my bank on July 21 with no other comments. Right now, 4 business days after the refund, the amount shows up neither in PP or in my bank account. It never showed a "hold" on the transaction at any time (nor should it have) Can anyone tell me what is going on here? Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Scott_SK 

If you funded the original Paypal payment to the seller from your bank account or a card then once marked refunded/completed it will automatically go back to that bank account or card.
Normally it can take a few days up to a week to go back to a bank account and a bit longer for a card, Paypal say allow 30 days for a card (1 billing cycle) but its rarely that long.
(Can vary according to country though).
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ1212

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.