Payment supposedly didn't go through, but it's gone from my bank ccount

Battlefury
Contributor
Contributor

So I tried making a purchase on Etsy, however it said there was a problem with my payment. I didn't think much of it, so tried  different card the next, one I knew had sufficient funds. Again it says there is a problem with my payment. But, the money has gone from my account and I have 2 pending payments on my PayPal. This is the first time this has happened. I wasn't able to finish the order with Etsy, but my money is gone. 'Help' is zero help. 

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Battlefury 

Money’s not gone, it’s on hold. The hold will expire eventually releasing the funds.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Battlefury
Contributor
Contributor

That doesn't really answer any question though. Why did it say there was a problem with my payment? Why is the payment showing as pending? Why is my money on hold if there was a problem with my payment? And when will the hold expire? 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AdamC

Hi there!

I know it can be frustrating when this happens. If the payment has been taken from your funding source, it's most likely because we are trying to process the payment(s). Depending on the type of payment it is, the seller may need to authorise the transaction from their side. If the payment stays 'Pending' for several days, I'd advise reaching out to the merchant and ask them to cancel it from their side. If they are unable to, they can contact us and we can do it. 

Here's a resource with more information on our website's 'Help' section - Why is the payment I sent pending? What if I decide to cancel it? (paypal.com)

I hope this helps!

Thanks for reaching out on the Community. 

PayPal_Adam
Login to Me Too

Battlefury
Contributor
Contributor
I've already contacted the merchant, it's not showing on their side at all as I was unable to complete the order as it said there was a problem with the payment. This seems to be a PayPal problem, not an Etsy problem. How are they supposed to contact you about canceling a payment they cannot even see?
Login to Me Too

Battlefury
Contributor
Contributor
I just want to be able to talk directly to someone from PayPal to sort this out without making a very expensive phone call. But there is no other way to contact PayPal!
Login to Me Too

Computers-S_u_x
Contributor
Contributor

I sent a payment and my payee said PayPal says it's on hold for 21 DAYS?! Why would this even be a THING? And if it's already been paid by my bank I want that money released.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.