Shipping: Troubleshooting

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi everyone,

While the shipping tool works for most labels, there are some scenarios that can cause an error. I've listed some common errors below and how to work around them.  This list does not include all of the possible error messages but it does highlight a few of the most common ones.

Error Message:

"Please note, the shipping address is different from the U.S. Postal Service's recommended address" OR

"PayPal Shipping is not available. We apologize for the inconvenience." OR

"We are not able to generate your label at this time. Your PayPal account was not charged. Please try again later."

These errors are usually caused by an invalid ship to or ship from address.

If  you received one of these error messages try this:

1. Go to USPS.com and click “Look Up a Zip Code
  2. Enter the mailing address
  3. Click “Find”
  4. Make any corrections necessary to match the “Full Address in Standard Format”

* Please note – even the slightest difference may return an error

• Remove punctuation marks
  • Although some abbreviations are acceptable such as St, Rd, Blvd, some cannot be used. (i.e. You can not use St for "Saint" especially in the City field.) 
  • Make sure that the address is formatted properly. If the address is long, look for things that should be on the 2nd address line
  • Check for spelling errors. 
  • If you receive a zip code error, check that the city name matches that on USPS.com.
  • To maintain a confirmed address do not change the Zip Code. 

Make sure that the ship from address is also on file as the full address in Standard Format.  If the address requires to many changes, you may want to refund the payment and let the buyer know that you are unable to ship the item due to the address.  The buyer can then make any necessary changes and resubmit the payment.

If you received an error message stating that shipping is unavailable try this:

• Click “Edit address” from the  “Create your Shipping Label” page to view the buyer’s address

There must be a name in both the first and last name fields. 

Verify that the 1st and 2nd address fields are used properly.

If the address appears correct, but the you cannot print a label, use the Edit Address Function to delete, and manually type each line back in (do not use cut and paste).  This will clear any bad or blank characters not visible. 

Issue: Only the SAMPLE label prints

This issue can be caused by printer settings and may be an issue with some of the newer HP printers and Internet Explorer.  You can try this fix in Internet Explorer, go to File > HP Smart Web Printing and uncheck it. 

Error Message:

"We are not able to generate your label at this time. Your PayPal account was not charged. Please try again later.
Due to authorization restrictions, you will need to change your shipping preferences to Bill My UPS Account in your PayPal Shipping Preferences in order to use UPS Shipping."

This error can occur if you are attempting to use a UPS account with special rates/pricing.  Try relinking the UPS account or use a new UPS account.

Error Message:

"The contact information you submitted does not match the information on file for your UPS account. Either update your UPS account information by visiting http://www.ups.com or update the information below."

This error can occur if the contact information on file with your UPS account is different than PayPal.  Make sure your information is correct with UPS or make corrections to the contact information on file in your PayPal account.

Error Message:

"Due to an unknown problem registering your account with UPS, we were unable to complete registration. Please register your account again. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Possible Solution: Make sure that the name on your PayPal account matches the name on your UPS account.

Error Message:

"You have entered an invalid value."

This can happen for many reasons.  Entering package dimensions not supported by UPS or entering information in the wrong format (example: typing in "lbs." in the weight box) can cause this.  The most common cause for this error is that the link between your PayPal and UPS account has expired.  If you have not printed a UPS shipping label with PayPal in a while, the accounts can become unlinked.  It's also possible for UPS accounts to be deactivated if they are not used for 12 months.  In this situation, it's best to attempt to relink the account.  If that doesn't work, then it's possible that a new UPS account will need to be linked.  We've seen situations where a UPS account had been deactivated but it was still possible to log into the account on the UPS website.

In some situations, our system may also require that a phone number is included with your ship from address.  If you're having issues with printing UPS labels try updating your ship from address setting to include a phone number.  Instructions below:

Here's how to change your Ship From address:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click "Profile" near the top of the page.
  3. Click "My selling tools."
  4. Click "Update" near "Shipping preferences."
  5. Click "Edit Address."
  6. Select a different address from the drop-down or click "Add Address."
  7. Click "Continue." If you add a new address enter in the information, and then click "Continue"

Please ensure that the ship from address also matches the information on file in your UPS account.

Instructions for removing and linking your UPS account to PayPal:

2. Click "Profile" at the top of the page.
  4. Click "Update" beside "Shipping preferences" under "Shipping my items."
  5. Click "Remove UPS information" under "Your UPS Information."
  6. Select "Add new or existing UPS information."

If you are unable to choose which shipping preference (USPS or UPS) after clicking the "Print Shipping Label" button:

This can happen if your shipping preferences are set to a specific shipping provider. This can also occur if you had a specific method shipment advertised on an eBay auction.

You can check your shipping preferences by:

2. Click "Profile" at the top of the page.
  4. Click "Update" beside "Shipping preferences" under "Shipping my items."
  5. Select "U.S. Postal Service", UPS or "no preference" under the "Default Shipping Carrier" section.
  6. Click Save.

Issue: You can print domestic labels but you can't print an international label

International labels and customs forms rely on the Java Plug-in in your browser to display and properly print.  If you are able to print domestic but not international labels, this could indicate a possible issue with a corrupted or outdated Java client.  Visit www.java.com to download the latest client, restart your computer and try to print the label again.  If you already have the latest client, it may still be beneficial to reinstall to eliminate this possibility as a cause for the issue.

I hope these steps are helpful to troubleshoot any issues with shipping.  If you have any other helpful shipping tips, please feel free to share them in our Tips from Members section.

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.