assign a nickname for bank accounts and credit cards?

PNWgreen
New Community Member

Hello, 

Is there a way to assign a nickname for different bank accounts and credit cards that are linked to the PayPal account?  

I searched help and forum first, but found no answers.  Thanks much for any help or advice.  

Login to Me Too
259 REPLIES 259

hvisage
New Community Member

Well... PayPal become the necessary evil in this exercise: I *have* to use it, but it's a pain to know *which* card of the three or some VISA/MC/AMEX cards (different banks for all the wrong reasons but necessary) I want/need to use.... going by the last four digits... I constantly need to pull out my cards to check ;(

PayPal: PLEASE add this functionality!!!!

Login to Me Too

clewissr71
New Community Member

I have 5 different cards in my wallet and 4 of them are Visa cards. Is there a way to assign specific names to each card? 

If one is a Capital One and another is a CitiBank I have to actually pull out the card to check the number to verify. Would be much easier if I can assign the names to each card so I know for sure which card I am selecting. Otherwise It may be easier to just use the card to pay and skip using Paypal.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Erica

Hi clewissr71,

Thanks for reaching out to us here! I'm sorry for the delay in responding to your question. Unfortunately, we do not currently have the ability to label cards in your wallet, but this is excellent feedback! I'd be happy to pass this along to our developers for consideration!

-Erica

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. Smiley Happy Thanks!

Login to Me Too

TomOnEastCoast
New Community Member

I have done some web surfing and it appears that CUSTOMERS HAVE BEEN ASKING THE SAME THING FOR YEARS WITH NO RESULT FROM PAYPAL. People want a field to add a nickname to the cards and/or accounts in their PP Wallet. I dropped an email to support about this a couple of weeks ago and didn't even get the courtesy of a response.

I'm a web developer. Adding 1 column (nickname) to the wallet item table/database is not a big deal - nor is parsing that field as a link on the few pages that list the cards/accounts in the wallet.

I must assume that Paypal gets a transaction fee everytime their service is used. The reality is ONLY SOMETIMES I USE PAYPAL, but more often, I find myself having to pull my wallet out of my pocket, so I just type the card number into the site where I'm making the purchase and Paypal loses their percent of my purchase. I have taken a small survey of 30 business associates.. All but 4 people do what I do. Seems to me like Paypal is losing 26 out of 30 transaction fees in my small test group.

The only reason I could imagine PayPal wouldn't do this simple upgrade to their site is in the hopes that they are creating a scenario where they are pushing customers into using PayPal credit so that they get the whole trasaction fee instead of having to split it with Mastercard or Visa. Again, based on my small survey, the math doesn't work. People with multiple cards simply type in the number if they have to pull the card out of their real wallet anyhow.

If I could ask the president of Paypal one question, it would be this:

As the leader of a hugely successful organization, how is that adding a single field to your website that has been asked for from many customers over the course of years has not led to any type of customer service result?

Login to Me Too

mosky001
Contributor
Contributor

I couldn't agree less.

This update can be rolled out in a matter of hours.

One extra column in the database, and couple of hours editing the code with the ability to CRUD the labels and life would be a lot easier for millions.

In my country (Nigeria), we have a new policy that gives a $100 limit on any foreign transaction so I have to put up about 5 different cards to be able to transfer.

Most of the cards I have are from friends and family so I have to fund their accounts and make the transaction.

You can't imagine the frustration I experience when I want to make transactions and not sure whose account to pay into just because I cannot label the cards.

We would appreciate that update PayPal, it'd save a lot of stress.

Login to Me Too

labellekel
New Community Member

I'd really like this feature, too.

Login to Me Too

lltrace
Contributor
Contributor

Couldn't agree more.  I have several cards also, and I hate that I have to pull them out of my wallet to figure out which is which so I can use Paypal

Login to Me Too

LABeachGeek
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, it's not just CCs but also bank accounts.  I have two link accounts from same bank and have to lookup acct#, which is more of a pain than CC#.

Almost bought my honey's present with wrong acct (shared) instead of my private acct.

It would've been embarrassing for the transaction to show on our account.

I know PayPal is losing transactions, but customer convenience alone should have  been enough to add bank/CC nicknames.

Login to Me Too

ArtytheTorch
Contributor
Contributor

My bank account was added when the nickname was possible (dating back more than a decade) but the newer payment methods don't have the option.

Bring it Back Please!

Login to Me Too

pengulu
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a way to give negative kudos to the moderator's response?

I am not amused by her 'this is excellent feedback' canned PR-language.

Being able to give nicknames to the cards/accounts is an absolute necessity, not window-dressing.

I am an International Legal Adviser, active in several jurisdictions.

At one point I had over a dozen cards registered in PayPal, from different countries, in different currencies.

It was all so confusing that I have let most of them expire and now there are only two of the dozen still working.

I simply stopped using PayPal, as it was simply impossible to know each time which card, in which country and on what currency the charge would be!

If PayPal does not heed this feedback about adding readily visible freindly names, I am sure I will not be the only one who will turn his back completely to it

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.