Since when do you need to juggle a balance to do refunds? Let me refund without a balance.

interoceptive

I've been using paypal since 2003 and selling on ebay for 20 years as a hobby.

Occasionally someone doesn't want to wait and they open a case if a package takes too long or even more rarely something gets damaged - usually I just refund them.

I don't remember EVER having to maintain a balance to do that. Now my paypal account says I'm negative? How? Just take the money out of my bank or credit card. If I say to send someone a refund just send them the money, I don't get why I now have to transfer exactly $27.50 to cover a refund but then subtract $5 for a hold for something else and then be careful not to spend from my balance so I have enough to cover aforementioned refund. What a mess.

I guess it's been a long time since I've had anyone request a refund because I don't recall ever having to worry about this crap before and I always transfer money to my bank right after I get it - because it makes it easier for me to keep track of instead of spending 20 and seing 14.50 on my bank statement because I forgot I had 5.50 balance so now I'm wondering why the totals are wrong.

So my question is 2-fold. When did this start? And Is there anything to opt in to where they can just allow me to refund people when they ask me to instead of holding a worthless balance that I'll forget I have until a purchase elsewhere doesn't add up right.

Actually I'm moving this to suggestions board so it's also a suggestion. Don't force me to have a balance. Paypal used to be the most convenient and this is very cumbersome.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

interoceptive

Also this endangers my account because if I can't refund them when I want then the buyer gets upset and then would force a refund and at that point it doesn't matter whether I have funds or not the buyer will be sent their refund regardless. So why not just let me send them the money now?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.