Scams using Paypal

tepicfo
New Community Member

I advertised an item and the person, who would not identify themselves, wanted to pay thru paypal.  However, he wanted to added the shipping charges to the item amount and me pay his shipper when they picked it up.  There were 6 replies, 5 definitely scams, but unsure how to proceed with this, if at all.  I guess I need to know what is safe to accept through PayPal.  If it was a straight forward deposit into my account, is there a waiting period for that deposit to clear?  Or is that deposit legit at the time it is into my account?  All of those scams were from Craigs list. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@tepicfo

If you're selling locally, it may be best to accept cash only. If you want to accept PayPal, list the item on an online auction site to be shipped with a tracking number (signature confirmation number if over $750.00).

Here is a PayPal link with details on Craigslist scams.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/scams-on-craigslist-and-other-classifieds-websites-faq30...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.