PayPal debit card's current anti-fraud system is a joke

hbouma
Contributor
Contributor

I'm hoping someome from PayPal bothers to read this, but whatever system put in a few months ago to try and screen out fraudulent charges is totally broken and is only causing me want to cancel the card. I've had to call in more times to get a charge approved in the past few months than in the previous 10+ years combined of using the card since you first started offering it. I've had to call in basically every month to get a charge approved that I've been making to the same merchant. I called on Thursday to get the most recent attempt through and here I am blocked again when trying to pay another merchant; I'll have to call again tomorrow.

I also had to call at least four times after you issued me a new chipped card because every place I was updating it was tripping your fraud system with its soft auth attempt to verify it. If your new system can't even allow someone to update their card with existing merchants without having to call multiple times to allow it to go through, that alone should tell you its broken and needs to be fixed. Its clearly not looking at previous payment history when deciding if its a fraud charge or not. "oh, hey, you've been paying this merchant for 6+ months - but whaever I'm still going decline it because it might be fraud." You can easily do better than this if you're really trying to stop fraud. Such as simply sending me a text message about the charge and if its valid I can respond that its okay. Your system can then let it through on the second attempt. This way even if you insist on using this currently lame anti-fraud system, you're no longer wasting my time or your support staff time with all these phone calls to get a stupid $17.10 charge through.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

hbouma
Contributor
Contributor

Three months later and I'm still being constantly flagged. I give up.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.