PAYPAL HELD MONEY FOR 3 WEEKS... THEN GAVE IT ALL TO A FRAUDULENT CON ARTIST. SOME WELCOME!!!

Temp20220726ac
New Community Member

This/That man, “Jeremy <removed> of Somerville, Alabama” had offered local online sales for Chevy Truck parts. I previously purchased an item from him that I resold in my start-up resale business. The 2nd time I inquired about an item from him was for step/running boards for my husband's personal vehicle. I had questions about whether or not the item in question he had for sale would fit properly on my husband's truck. This man offered to come by my home (also my place of business) to measure and assess prior to my purchase. He did come by my place on the morning of 09/17/2019 and he did assess my husband's truck. He allowed me to view the item, which I decided not to purchase for cosmetic reasons. This man left my home and the next morning I discovered a charge for $144.36 debited from my Paypal account to “Jeremy <removed>.” Instead of jumping to the conclusion that this man had stolen my information and took money from my account, I decided I would wait and ask my husband when he returned home from work if he had authorized the transaction (since he is privy to my business information as co-owner, which included my Paypal information.) My husband informed me that night when he got home that he absolutely DID NOT AUTHORIZE any payment to that man, and I certainly DID NOT AUTHORIZE any transfer of $144 to him!! Since then we have been desperately trying to find him, calls, texts, email, and asked for a refund through Paypal which was canceled! As of 09-21-2019 we have not seen or heard from him since that date. We did, however, find out from some locals that he is known to be a con-artist and has done this type of thing before to many people and one person was still looking for him after this man swindled over $500 from him! My business is brand new, and I certainly do not have the extra money to just give it away to people such as this. I opened a case with Paypal (which they denied the same day!!), who said that this transaction was in fact authorized!!! So, by who?? Not by me, and not by my husband... so if it is coming from MY ACCOUNT shouldn’t I be the ONLY ONE who can authorize a payment? They came to this decision extremely quickly which obviously tells me they didn’t even investigate. I was never asked any kind of follow up question or interviewed again... and they never posted anything about asking or talking to that man about the matter. So all this hype about Paypal being a safe place to do business is complete crap! $144 is a ton of money for me right now! What would you do next in my situation?

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.