No more debit cards for Canadians as of 4/15/18??

JoanneFM
Contributor
Contributor

I've been a Paypal member since 2002 and have had a debit card ever since. Today I got an email stating that Paypal debit cards will be closing on April 15, 2018. I'm very upset about this. as I use my card when shopping locally. I would think that Paypal has enough business with Canadian members to allow us consideration in this. It's just not good business in my opinion. It's a pain to have to wait three days every time I want to move money from Paypal to my bank account. I've used the card to take money out through an ATM, but now I won't even be able to do that. What does everyone else think about this?

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

mizzdoyle
Contributor
Contributor

WORST SERVICE, EVER! STILL WAITING FOR MY MONEY!

Login to Me Too

nrg_svr
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal sure is finding every last way to make sure I never use their service again, or use it only if there is absolutely no other choice.

Have had a debit card since the beginning of them being available.

In the last 12 months, we've seen the transaction fee on sales to US customers rise 0.8%, and to top it off, some of us who had benefited from the tiered rate have now finally lost that as well. In my case, I have gone from what normally was a 2.5% transaction fee to 3.7%

Paypal are simply criminal in their greed, and I am not going to reward them with any additional business, buying or selling. I've already moved to Reverb.com from eBay, and use Reverb's checkout service and NOT paypal. And we're talking thousand of dollars a year in fees I paid, never mind the fees PayPal has earned off of purchases.

Greedy gets nothing PayPal, and I will be contacting the ombudsman in Ottawa to see if there is anything that can be done to get you onto a leash. If you want to operate in Canada, you have to start treating us better, not like squatters.

Have unlinked cards and bank accounts. Member since 2001. If I can get by in 6 months without having used PayPal at all, they're gone from my life for good.

Login to Me Too

Livetechsupport
New Community Member

This has really **bleep** me over to.  I have been a loyal paypal customer since 2001 I think... maybe even before then. I may have got a notice about 30 days ago, but I'm always thinking paypal emails are spam... They never put this notice in my account or anything... They really dropped the ball here...

Anyways, what you can do which may or may not help some of you is sign up for a reloadable card from koho.ca

No fees to load or to use the card.  The card is also free.  You will have to fund the first transaction with your bank account.

Good luck all, what a shock this was

Login to Me Too

nrg_svr
Contributor
Contributor

Definitely a good idea for anyone who must keep using paypal, and who wants to retain their US funds as US funds!

If you haven't already, get a US based bank account and withdraw the funds to it, and then spend via whatever method works. Many US banks have free or almost free accounts with VISA debit cards. I stopped Paypal triple dipping into my money years ago.

Login to Me Too

JoanneFM
Contributor
Contributor

@Livetechsupport wrote:

This has really **bleep** me over to.  I have been a loyal paypal customer since 2001 I think... maybe even before then. I may have got a notice about 30 days ago, but I'm always thinking paypal emails are spam... They never put this notice in my account or anything... They really dropped the ball here...

Anyways, what you can do which may or may not help some of you is sign up for a reloadable card from koho.ca

No fees to load or to use the card.  The card is also free.  You will have to fund the first transaction with your bank account.

Good luck all, what a shock this was

I've never owned a reloadable card. How would that work for getting at my Paypal funds?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.