Is anybody working on a lawsuit against PayPal?

Enricokl

Hi 

I do have the same issue that PayPal is holding my money even after positive feedback is received. If that is there policy, so be it. But then I think it is an criminal act of eBay forcing sellers and buyers to use PayPal only. Also in the moment positive feedback is received the money should be released otherwise we should be eligible for an interest payment from PayPal since we all know that this money will occur interest for PayPal as well. What I am locking for is actually not a phone number to discuss these issues in endless customer agent calls, I am locking for a community who is already working on a class action lawsuit against ebay or PayPal and if not I would like to know how many people would support such to get something started. 

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Enricokl

I do have the same issue that PayPal is holding my money even after positive feedback is received.

Positive feedback does not release held funds. This is because buyers can leave feedback for the wrong seller by mistake.

Also feedback is not mandatory.

But then I think it is an criminal act of eBay forcing sellers and buyers to use PayPal only.

Neither sellers or buyers are forced to use Paypal. Sellers can accept card payments direct if they want to and buyers can select sellers that offer other payment options.

Also in the moment positive feedback is received the money should be released

Again no for the reason above, equally its not one of the criteria for payment release.

eligible for an interest payment from PayPal since we all know that this money will occur interest for PayPal as well.

In that case are you going to pay interest on the payment Paypal 'credits you' when a buyer pays? Only buyer payments are not instant, paypal credit the seller the funds and then paypal take the wait for the pending funds to transfer from the buyers card or bank account.

If you want to start a class action then I suggest you get private legal advice as Ebay and Paypals LEGAL user agreement was 'approved' by the FSA in this country. Its also the user agreement that you agreed to when you opened both your Ebay and Paypal accounts.

Lastly Ebay and Paypal are 2 separate companies with 2 separate policies for holding funds for Ebay and off-Ebay sales.

So if you are talking about Ebay then their policy is below and they authorise when Paypal can release Ebay held payments.

https://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/sr?query=1746

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Dtect34
Contributor
Contributor

Case Name

**** v. PayPal Settlement
Case No. ****District Court for the Northern District of California
Case Summary

According to the settlement PayPal improperly handled disputed transactions on PayPal accounts and improperly placed holds, reserves, or limitations on accounts or closed or suspended accounts. In addition plaintiffs also allege that PayPal failed to provide them with annual error-resolution notices and monthly account statements allegedly required under the Electronic Fund Transfer Act.

Post edited by Moderator as per Community Guidelines. 

Login to Me Too

ChelleO
Contributor
Contributor
In reading all the complaints on the web about PayPal holding our money for "security checks," as well as the previous class action lawsuit against them for the same reason, I think we should all go forward with it. I understand a new customer and a first transaction, however, to have several transfers in a row being put on hold, is unacceptable. Apparently PayPal didn't learn any lesson the first time around so it time we as the customers, stand up again, to hold them responsible for temporarily stealing our money. On more than 1 occassion their bogus holds affected me in very negative ways. The 1st time I was 3000 miles from my home state, money was sent to me using pp, 24 hour hold was placed. I called CS to no avail. Got the generic, robot response from the woman on the other end. Long story short, I didn't get my money in time to get a motel room and I ended up in the street, on a bench for 2 days until the money hit my account. I contacted an attorney about that. After that I had every single transfer for 2 1/2 months on hold. I again contacted the Attorney when I put in for a money order transfer 4 days before thanksgiving and didn't get it in time for the holiday so I ended up alone in another state and wasn't even able to eat on thanksgiving. I'm sure PayPal employees had a wonderful holiday though, so to hell with all of us who make their paychecks a reality. The final straw was this past week when they held 2 payments(and not 24 hours but now 72 hours)that I needed for an apartment. I now lost my home as the money wasn't there at deadline time. I called knowing it was useless, telling me there is nothing that they can do. So the Attorney instructed me to contact the Attorney General for my home state as well as California, The Better Business Bureau and the Federal Reserve. He also instructed me to contact several people and higher ups via email at PayPal. He explained that pp keeps hiding their fraudulent activity of holding our money as they please, behind their user agreement/TOS, however, he states it's very vague and losely worded so they can manipulate it to their advantage when they pull these stunts. So YES, there is something we all can do with the appropriate representation. I am now in the process of getting money together so I can retain this attorney that has been kindly helping me the last 5 months. I won't have the money sent through PayPal though, that's for sure. When this nightmare is over and I receive all my money, I will be closing my account out. It's just not worth it. PayPal has played with my life for the last time! I hope this information helps others and I have all the names and email addresses with phone numbers for the depts and higher ups at PP if anyone needs that info. I just want to clarify that my account is a personal account. It's only used for family and friends to send me money and vice versa. I don't sell or buy.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ChelleO

The case against paypal for holding payments was to do with limited accounts where funds were held OVER 180 days.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MadMok128
Contributor
Contributor
I agree 100% and want to be part of It. Now every .25$ instant transfer is being held for 24 hours. It just cost me 70$ in insufficient fees. There’s no reason for it logically except for PayPal to Charge a fee and hold your money like they would if you transferred into your checking waiting One business day
Login to Me Too

TRush
I would gladly join the lawsuit!
Login to Me Too

theoharp
New Community Member

If anyone is working on a new class action lawsuit against PayPal I would certainly jump on that wagon. They settled a class action lawsuit last year in regards to similar practices, and have obviously not learned from their mistakes. I too sell on ebay, and am quite dissatisfied with the practices of PayPal. They needlessly hold a sellers funds EVEN when package delivery is confirmed, and positive feedback has been received. I do not feel that this is legal in any sense of the word. I feel that ebay has sensed the lawsuit trouble coming for both PayPal, and themselves. That is why ebay has severed ties with PayPal, and have recently signed a contract with a new payment processing company. To little, to late for both these greedy giants. It will bring this ebay seller, and (forced PayPal) user great pleasure to see both of these companies liquidated into a mere reflection of what they once were. It is only a matter of time before a major competitor takes over, and for obvious reasons.  

Please keep me informed of any new litigation between either PayPal, or ebay.

Theodore Harper

Fostoria, MI 48435

Login to Me Too

ChelleO
Contributor
Contributor
Hello Theodore. I know that I am going ahead with a lawsuit. I spoke with my attorney today again about this as I received a call yesterday from someone in PayPals executive office. Which clearly did nothing because today I sent another 400 to my bank account and again it's being held for 72 hours which means I won't have it until Friday. This is totally unacceptable. This is the 3rd payment in a row within a week and a half this has been done. The woman I spoke with was very nice and she did explain all that I wanted to know, but in the end, PayPal claims they can't stop or reverse these "security checks." There are several people here that want to take action with a lawsuit. I have passed that on to the Attorney. He will be speaking with the 3 other attorneys in his office about taking the class action suit. It sounds good so far. Let's exchange contact information. I will fill you in more about what is going on legally and tell you what paypal executive told me. I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with this as well. There are so many of us, unfortunately.
Login to Me Too

taylor2017
New Community Member
Please let me know your action plan I have an 180 day hold issue 🙏
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.