Google Authenticator

Malbec
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everybody!

I saw several messages asking this same question, but I didn't find any positive answer:

When will it be possible to use Google Authenticator for connecting to PayPal?

It's becoming more and more critical and urgent since SS7 protocol has been compromised and no serious security can any more rely on SMS!

Thank you.

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

sj89
Contributor
Contributor

I don't feel secure using Paypal for my money, to make me feel secure I need TOTP. 

Login to Me Too

kubais
Contributor
Contributor

I have to say I am quite shocked that nowadays, in time of widely known problems of SMS verifications being insecure, PayPal offer SMS as the only option.

Majority of other online payment methods stopped using SMS verification for good, some kept SMS but offered other much more secure methods - such as TOTP.

Please, Paypal, add more authentication methods!!!

Login to Me Too

stormense
New Community Member

PayPal is to big and lazy nowadays. I dont use PayPal anymore if I can. Google, Microsoft, Laspass Authenticator are more secure then sms. I never recommend PayPal to anyone until they rice their fat buttocks and give us what we want.

Login to Me Too

Iaito

I couldn't agree more. The recent launch of SMS as the only widely supported extra layer of authentication just shows how completely lax PayPal is about customer security, and outdated in terms of multi-layer authentication.

I am not joking, the minute I find a similar service - it could even be worse - that supports TOTP / Google Authenticator = sayonara PayPal.

It is 2018, and ALL serious payment services in developed countries have had one or several widely supported 2FA for years!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.