Gab

1ontopofyou
New Community Member
Wanted to say awesome job to PayPal to stop service to GAB.com. Americans should never support haters. Hate Crimes are so wrong. We ALL should focusing on human KINDNESS! If we focus more on this life wil only get better. Saying hi to stranger or even holding a door for an at random person can go a long way for ALL involved John B
Login to Me Too
21 REPLIES 21

Misty888
Contributor
Contributor

I just want to say that as a Paypal customer, I am appalled that you inserted yourself into this mess.  If you are going to cancel gab.com, then you have an obligation to cancel Twitter and Facebook.  They all have individuals who post hate.  You have literally opened Pandora’s box by trying to be “P.C.” At a time when close to 80% of the country is tired of P.C. The man who killed those innocent people obviously had severe mental problems.  You cannot blame that on the site he was on who immediately called the police and banned him.  What about Madonna stating she wanted to blow up the White House?  Did you go after her?  Have you called up Maxine Waters and told her to behave? We all know what happened when Starbucks and other big companies tried to use the drama of the day for their own purposes,  so don’t fall in this trap.  PayPal was once the only company you could send money with.  You are no longer the only fish in the sea and this could cause you repercussions while you pander to 20 somethings who don’t know what day it is. 

Login to Me Too

JoeHill
New Community Member

The reason we have and support free speech is because in the long run it makes us safer not less safe. It is axiomatic that only unpopular speech needs protecting, and it is better that people speak their dissent than operate on it in the shadows. By making it harder for Gab to operate you haven't removed hate from our society you have just driven it underground where it will be even more dangerous and in the process you have opened your business to justifiable accusations of P.C. partisanship. Unless you are going to stop doing business with half the politicians in the country, most of Hollywood, and half the media in the country you will not have purged yourself of everyone who has advocated violence in the country.

I am tired of this PC nonsense from your company and many others and I am simply not going to support it anymore. PayPal is no longer a business I will patronize.

Login to Me Too

Donkotronic
New Community Member

I specifically came here to chime in about this topic. Gab is a neutral platform, and that is something very valuable right now. I am a long time Paypal customer, and I love their services. After what has happened to Infowars and now Gab, this is getting to a point that I feel the need to speak up. Paypal, please stop shutting down service for political reasons, it's not right. We need alt-media and alt-tech, no matter what kind of politics happen there. Glad to see at least some customers are also speaking up now. 

Login to Me Too

onethird
New Community Member

I am in the same boat. Although I have been a PayPal customer since 2003, I will do everything I can to avoid using your service, and am actively looking for an alternative.

I hate the hypocrisy and lack of commitment to free speech.

Login to Me Too

Krisztián1
Contributor
Contributor

absolutely agree with you guys.
paypal needs to stop and wake up from this appauling policy. 

is it ok now to judge a community based on 1 crazy person? 
now THATS the very definition of hate, racism, and predjudice that you, PAYPAL, do here!

we, Hungarians, who are taking a stand against the migrant crisis here in the EU, we are proud of our free speech rights.

here in the EU you have no right to deny anyone a service, just based on your opinion or bias, unless he brakes his part of the agreement. And that is rightly so!

Login to Me Too

USAFvet
Contributor
Contributor

As a USAF vet I agree with you whole heartedly. I did not put on my uniform to defend the right of  companies to build their business to provide a service to EVERYONE. People who expose themselves as radicals should be reported to the DOJ not banned. This will only cause them to go underground. Companies can help provide security by reporting not banning. It is not up to PayPal or any of these other companies to determine who MIGHT be a threat and who is not. Do you really want to stifle free speech PayPal? There is a movie called The American President with Michael Douglas. In the movie he is making a speech about free speech where he talks about someone whom you totally disagree with being able to scream at the top of his lungs something to which you scream at the top of your lungs why they are wrong but you defend their right to say it. That is the American way. People who are screaming that something is hate speech or racist or whatever way they want to describe it so they should be banned do not defend our 1st amendment right to free speech. The politicians of this country started this mess. The only way to stop this garbage is for companies to stop bowing to the people who scream ban them or the people who scream hate speech ban them. To me that starts with you PayPal.   

Login to Me Too

beachmom561
New Community Member

So, Paypal censors Alex Jones and GAB and other places where free speech is on display. The good and bad.

Except when it's liberal ideaology or violence. You allow sites to do business with you that are hateful and stream live killings, anti Semitic speech by islamists, etc. You are hypocrites and this type of action always ends up coming back to bite anyone who does this type of Big Brothering on the butt.

Login to Me Too

Krisztián1
Contributor
Contributor

completely agree! this is NOT A CONTENT SITE, how they even got to the idea? its like not making a hot dog, or not giving service in a restaurant just because the owner doesnt like the customers

now THATS the very definition of hate, and predjudice

we, Hungarians, who are taking a stand against the migrant crisis here in the EU, we are proud of our free speech rights, and appauled at this policy!

here in the EU its against the law to deny anyone a service, just based on opinion or bias, unless he brakes his part of the agreement. And that is rightly so!

Login to Me Too

SnappingTurtle1
New Community Member

This is the first time I'm writing to this organization which I've used for a decade. The original intent of the internet was the free flow of information. This was back when Napster was the future until **bleep** like Lars Ulrich decided it was a great idea to completely centralize information between two or three companies. I don't know what has happened but that the internet is on a collision course with pure authoritarianism that is antithetical to everything Americans are supposed to believe. 

I used to be a leftist or considered myself a liberal. Back then, I thought what we stood for was free expression, accountable government and domestic spending prioritized over foreign spending (aka war). I've since left this label behind, because number one labels are lame (as we used to believe in the 90s) and number two, **bleep** like what Paypal is doing to GAB.com in the name of "social justice." The only people being truly harmed by your deplatforming of GAB are independent creators, artists and musicians. As I was just about to release my new album exclusively on GAB, **bleep** hit the fan as you took away their ability to make money. But here is the truth- Paypal allows rappers to remain completely funded while promoting the degradation of women, yet you do nothing. In fact, as a youngster, the first time I ever heard the phrases "**bleep**" or "**bleep**" or that I should treat a woman like a **bleep** instead of as an equal came from musicians that Paypal allows to remain fully funded on this financial platform at this very moment.  Young women are being tricked into fiming themselves being sexually exploited by men suing Paypal all the time. Yet Paypal is silent. This is the tip of the iceberg of hypocrisy to which I could link Paypal. The fact is, U.S. dollar bills are used to commit every type of atrocity on this planet. Weapons of mass destruction are purchased with U.S. dollars and then used to kill and mame.  Does Paypal attack the U.S. dollar? No.  Rather, it accepts and promotes the U.S. dollar as it's primary source of revenue!! So by Paypal's own "guilt by association" logic it has applied to GAB- that the Gab network is responsible because one if it's users commits a heinous atrocity, can I, as a classically liberal humanitarian not make the same leap that Paypal is supporting a million deaths in the middle East through it's part in the US dollar network? It may sound silly to you but that's how your ridiculous canceling of GAB sounds to me. There are people on GAB like myself who have in fact been arguing with these same "**bleep**" types and soundly defeating them in debates, using logic, reason and common sense. And now you are shutting down our efforts.  I left the left because of the overwhelming Hypocrisy and Paypal has taken it to the next level. I did not vote for Hillary because she voted for the Iraq war which I was against. I stopped supporting Obama because instead of reducing global conflict he expanded it into Libya and Syria, drawing us into a global crisis with Russia. It was not because I was afraid of genitalia. If Paypal wants to do something positive for the world, start shutting down the people who starts WARS. Start going after companies that put Toxins in our food supply. Shut down those that would poison oru great lakes and waterways. Get your damn priorities straight one day. Stop going after the weak on behalf of the powerful and START GOING AFTER THE POWERFUL ON BEHALF OF THE WEAK. Only then can you ever fix what I once thought was the foundation of supposed "liberalism." Until then, it just looks like authoritarianism masquerading as good manners to me and I will be searching for alternatives to your company. Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.