Canceling unauthorized invoices: Paypal should have another security step!

marubi
Contributor
Contributor

So here's what happened to me: I get an email notification that looked like it legitimately came from paypal, that I have an invoice. First time for me, I have never received an invoice from paypal before, only notification of payments that I've authorized. So obviously, I did not authorize this. Nonetheless, I did NOT click the link in the email. So I logged into my paypal account, and there it was, for $297.88, with a business name, another email address, a name that the invoice is intended for (not mine) and my email address. I looked at the paypal website about what to do, so I sent the original email to phish@paypal...(in  hindsight, this doesn't really address the problem. The notification came from Paypal, but they didn't phish the email, the fraudulent source used a legitimate business name to invoice me.)  Then they advise to delete that original email. I did (wish I would have done a screen capture of it). I also changed my password, security questions, etc. in paypal.

By the way, this reminds me of the phony email scam I've received in recent months, usually for anti virus software/services. I was directly contacting Norton, etc. for the first few. The rest of them I forwarded to amazon and my email spam services, and they eventually stopped. But what concerns me about this happening within Paypal, is that I'm not seeing reassurances that Paypal is addressing the fraud.

So then, what to do about the invoice? Of course I'm not going to pay it (makes me wonder how many people inadvertently click that pay button? And if this is a scam, it must not be that effective at getting that immediate payment. THAT IS, if their ultimate goal isn't actually getting INFORMATION) But I didn't like that invoice in my queue. I clicked around on the help community and a paypal support person advised to simply cancel the invoice, that perhaps the business simply typed in the wrong email address.

But HOW do we know that?

I also looked up the company online. It's a legitimate company. But I still wasn't comfortable directly emailing them, just in case. So I found their facebook page, and there, the company owner had posted a video 8 hours earlier — thank goodness she did that! — in which she said, "My name is such and such from this company. I've been getting complaints. We DO NOT send invoices to folks who are not on our list! And the ONLY invoices we would send would come from these email addresses, etc." So I facebook messaged her, thanking her for the confirmation. Can you imagine how frustrated she is receiving all these messages from people who think she's behind this? (plus, it was a cool business, an entrepreneurial collective of black owned businesses)

So I go back to Paypal figuring there is at least something official I can do. But no help topics directly addressed this. I ended up cancelling the invoice in Paypal last night. But almost immediately I was concerned about any of my info going back to that suspicious source.

So the only conclusion I've come to is that there should be at least one, maybe more security steps Paypal should build in when sent an invoice you did not authorize. First, I wouldn't mind getting a "pre-notification" email from paypal that says, "did you authorize this invoice?". I'm certain that business owner would have liked a notification when an invoice was sent using her actual business name, but NONE of her approved email addresses. (I'm not even sure she uses Paypal) OR, when setting up the process by which you actually use paypal to invoice people, there should be an confirmation process, where Paypal checks for the very email addresses this particular business owner uses.

That brings us to the return email address on this fraudulent invoice. Who is that email connected to? Another person with a paypal account, or a bot? Anyway, Paypal needs to send an email to that email account (maybe they do, but I'd like to know the process). The transaction should be flagged if it hasn't been confirmed along the way. Also, and this one was big for me: when I cancel it, I need to be assured that the communication happens in a portal where I'm protected, or perhaps Paypal takes it from there. And maybe I am in fact protected, I just need assurance that I was.

Whoever read this, thanks for making it through the whole long slog. But I do hope it either clarifies things for me, or even better, improves security processes and customer service for Paypal and its users, thanks!

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

jimkmm
Contributor
Contributor

You've described, in detail, nearly all of my thoughts this morning when I received an invoice for a product that I did not order, from a company I have never done business with. What bothers me the most is that apparently all these scammers have to do is send out invoices and see who bites.

What concerns me more is that Paypal has done nothing for a problem that appears (from searches) to have been going on for years.

There really needs to be some way for a customer to generate a security token and exchange that token with the seller to verify the transaction.

Jim [removed]

Login to Me Too

Hergy000
Contributor
Contributor
I actually called the help line listed on the invoice and some .... Guy.... I'd love to call him a million other things tried to get me to give him control of my phone and was asking about what money transfer apps I used. Insane.. so glad to hear Paypal won't be trying to bill me for the "gaming headset" but what a weird scam. People suck.
Login to Me Too

DIB72
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for posting this. I almost went through the cancel invoice process and was concerned that I had no protection. I would prefer a process that allows dispute and protects me.
Login to Me Too

Ssamnick
Contributor
Contributor
This is good info, but I have one other issue. I can’t cancel the invoice from my PayPal account. I’m simply not being given that option either at the notification of this invoice or when I open the invoice. Any suggestions? I realize I can call PayPal as their online help tips don’t cover this situation. Thanks Steven
Login to Me Too

HLopezOnRD
Contributor
Contributor

Today I got the same email and also I'm unable to cancel. When I try to get any detail from my activities list for this transaction I get an error.

What can I do?

Login to Me Too

jimkmm
Contributor
Contributor

In one case I was able to cancel the invoice with no problem.

In the other, there was no option to cancel. From some research I've found that what *may* have happened is the scammer has issued the invoice and then the account has been closed. I had to wait for just over 2 months for the invoice to age away. During that time there was an active invoice sitting in my account for nearly $500. Not a good feeling.

Login to Me Too

deriter
New Community Member

Had the same thing to happen a couple of days ago.  Canceled the payment request, by going to PayPal account.  My concern:  seems like all someone needs is your email address to submit a payment request through PayPal?  I guess if you do not have a PayPal account then the email just bounces?

Login to Me Too

Wow!  Depressing!  This thread started back in May.  Now november, SAME issues.

Bogus invoices that ARE coming from Paypal on behalf of scum.

I've tried emailing microsoft (the scammers are using [removed] ) and paypal (Found these on the web: phishing@paypal.com; [removed] ) 

I don't get any replies.  no impression that they are doing anything.

And yeah, to cancel the invoice / stop the spam coming from paypal, you have to log in to paypal.  And I would bet that if you CAN cancel  the scammer will get a notification that the invoice was cancelled and they know the email address is legit / has someone reading their mail.... and you'll get more scams.

For those getting the error trying to cancel the invoices, I'd think it's because paypal has a hold on the scammers account / the cancel invoice function doesn't work?  And if that's the case, why not delete the invoices they sent out?

Login to Me Too

kihOshkv
New Community Member

I had something similar happen this morning. Here was the content of the message from the Seller (GeekSquad), who I never interacted with. I called their phone number and it was a person answering "Thanks for calling Paypal customer support. This is Peter" with an Indian accent. I hung up and immediately they called me back on my phone.

Seller note to customer

Dear Customer, You sent a payment of $779. 00 USD to GeekSquad Corporation. If you did not make this payment or to cancel this transaction , please call our Help Desk number : [Removed. Phone #s not permitted] Cancellation after 48 hours from this email won't be valid for a refund. Have a great day! GeekSquad Help Desk [Removed. Phone #s not permitted

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.