Account limited for depositing student loans for easier payments

Overtheregirl
Contributor
Contributor

I deposited my student loan into my PayPal account 14 years ago. I explained the situation, the amount was just above the $2000 threshold, but I didn't know there was a threshold. PayPal accepted the money. I had forgotten to leave out the money for rent and when I attempted to take out the $450 I needed, my account was limited. I was then told that I needed to submit proof, my social security number, etc. As soon as I submitted what was being asked of me, my account was permanently limited, using the information I provided not as proof, but as a way to permanently limit my account. I was a college student and a single mother. My federal funds were held for 180 days. I had to live on next to nothing for 6 months while raising twins and going to college. I was accused of money laundering and my account has been limited ever since. I did nothing illegal or immoral, I had no idea that what I was doing was wrong. I simply thought it would be an easier way to pay for school supplies if my money was already on PayPal which I didn't know was not allowed. Because of this, I can't use any service that only uses PayPal. It was deceptive to have told me that the information you needed was to reinstate my account, and if it was money laundering, honestly, why didn't you just call the police or the feds?  (Money laundering is illegal, right?) Opting instead for holding my money, and investing it in liquid investments. I'm fine with avoiding every company that requires PayPal, and there are so many more options now, but it's frustrating. And while those are your business' policies, they're devoid of any interest in customer service.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Overtheregirl 

File a complaint at bbb.org under PayPal San Jose, CA to get in contact with PayPal executive escalations office requesting another account review to restore.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Overtheregirl 

File a complaint at bbb.org under PayPal San Jose, CA to get in contact with PayPal executive escalations office requesting another account review to restore.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Overtheregirl
Contributor
Contributor

I filed a BBB complaint a couple of years ago, but I'll try again with your suggestion. Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Overtheregirl
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, just wanted to say thank you for  suggesting I file another complaint with the BBB! It worked!!! My PayPal account was restored this morning. You're a lifesaver! 🙌 I nearly cried lol

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.