$2500 penalty

Vxz4
Contributor
Contributor

What is the new policy being imposed on Nov 3rd? If I don’t maintain any balance but only use it for purchases, there shouldn’t be any money to steal from me, right?

Login to Me Too
300 REPLIES 300

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SoCalJody 

Dear Paypal ''contributor''  I read through your reply so now you know as much as we do don't you. 

Personally I think its a fuss about nothing and I can't be bothered over a simple mistake a company makes.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SoCalJody
Contributor
Contributor

Lovely hearing from you.

Login to Me Too

Rschineis
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you because I found several "esteemed" member responses extremely condescending or downright rude.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rschineis 

I found your ''esteemed'' contributor post rude as well...touche.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

m005kennedy
Contributor
Contributor
This exactly the problem. If you say a pregnant woman has a child inside her is that misinformation? What if you believe in a different number of genders that PayPal does? Will they say that belief in God is spreading misinformation?
Login to Me Too

philipmt
New Community Member

I've been a member since 2018.  Is the news I read about Paypal quietly putting back their $2500 fine on people for misinfo real?

They waited for the attention to die down and then put it back in their "terms of service"?

Login to Me Too

syfr
Contributor
Contributor

You're unlikely  to get an official answer as the cowards in charge of Paypal policy won't give an authoritative answer.  If you ask on Facebook they'll block you from commenting.

I wonder if this would be treated as a false statement:

"Paypal is a respectable company that makes decisions solely guided by the best interests of their customers and investors"

or

"Paypal treats all of their customers with equal respect, regardless of their personal political viewpoints".

or

"Our earlier press release stating that the offending section of the AUP was a mistake, was a mistake."

Login to Me Too

SoCalJody
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. Condescending --

Here is answer I received from PayPal rep:

There is nothing stated in our Acceptable use Policy in regards to "misleading information". That was an error on our part. That verbiage has never been in the policy. I am not sure how that was added to the AUP. I know it was an error and that is not something we support. I can give you a copy of the policy and nowhere does it say anything about misleading information and being fined for it.

I have sent you the full policy as well as the upcoming changes and the links to the pages that are updated.

If you do ctrl+f and enter "misleading" you'll notice that it is missing from this. It's because it is vague and unmanageable. It wasn't intended to go out.

Acceptable use policy PayPal rep sent: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#s4-restricted-activities

which does say for activities getting fined: 

• Provide false, inaccurate or misleading information;
Login to Me Too

Free-Mike
Contributor
Contributor

@SoCalJody 

I'm with you and gave you a Kudo... but... if you view the policy in it's entirety your point I believe is taken somewhat out of context. This part is about fraudulent activity, not misinformation nor would it apply to your posts or political views I believe. If you provide false or misleading information to PayPal regarding your banking information (for example) would you not expect PayPal to take exception to that? I would. You could be defrauded by someone registering with PayPal under false pretenses. 

Login to Me Too

Free-Mike
Contributor
Contributor

I just received this answer on PayPal messaging...

Hi Michael, my name is Michelle from Dispute and Claims Department. Thanks for reaching out to PayPal Messaging! Thank you for having this reported to us. No worries,I'll be more than happy to assist you. Let me go ahead and review your account and provide you the best resolution for this matter.

We understand your concern, but this was an error that we addressed as quickly as possible. PayPal is not fining customers for misinformation. We value your business and want to make sure we do everything we can to keep you as a customer.

PayPal’s long-standing Acceptable Use Policy serves to help protect customers and our payments platform against illicit and fraudulent activity. PayPal does not fine customers for AUP violations. PayPal remains dedicated to helping provide safe financial services to people of all backgrounds with a diversity of views.

If you need additional help on something, we are always here to help you. For your future reference, you can visit our website https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.