$2500 penalty

Vxz4
Contributor
Contributor

What is the new policy being imposed on Nov 3rd? If I don’t maintain any balance but only use it for purchases, there shouldn’t be any money to steal from me, right?

Login to Me Too
300 REPLIES 300

4dengae1
Contributor
Contributor

xXTheSwedeXx
New Community Member

Closing my account because of this once they resolve the issue with a cancelled pending payment.

Login to Me Too

invalidcookie
New Community Member

I would Remove all of my payment methods. 

Paypal just added the terms back in once again as of 10/27/22 

Don't believe anyone posting a Yahoo news article. It's still in the TOS.

A news article isn't a legal document. 

Venmo also carries this policy. 

Login to Me Too

Free-Mike
Contributor
Contributor

The policy changes include a ban on “the sending, posting, or publication of any messages, content, or materials” that “promote misinformation,” “hate,” or anything else the company deemed “unfit for publication.”

Is this on again. PayPal said the original announcement was just a big mistake. Now they apparently are reinstating this in the policy. If true, I'm gone.

Get Woke - Go Broke

Login to Me Too

xXTheSwedeXx
New Community Member

I want to close my account due to the changes to the user agreement where paypal will charge people $2,500 for spreading paypal's opinion of what might be "misinformation".

However, when I try to close the account, it says that I can't because there is a pending transaction. When I click on the pending transaction, it takes me to a page that says the transaction is no longer available. So I am unable to cancel it.

Login to Me Too

Rschineis
Contributor
Contributor
Just saw something that since this story has quieted down, PayPal is reinstating the fine. Any truth to this?
Login to Me Too

SoCalJody
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. Reinstated.  Looking for another payment processor for my website.

Login to Me Too

SoCalJody
Contributor
Contributor

Reported today (Oct 27) that PayPal continues the policy of fining PayPal users $2,500 for "misinformation."

I cannot find a policy statement that defines "misinformation"

Please provide the official PayPal wording to define "misinformation"

For example -- In the past, those that posted that vaccine did not stop the spread of the virus were labeled as "misinformation" posts.  Today, CDC and Pfizer both say that the vaccine does not stop the spread of the virus.  Yesterday's misinformation is today's true information.  THEREFORE, how does PayPal define "misinformation" in its policy -- please provide PayPal's words to define "misinformation". -- Thank you.  (I do not feel safe using PayPal when words are not defined.)

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SoCalJody 

No idea, ask them.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SoCalJody
Contributor
Contributor

Dear PayPal "esteemed advisor" -- I read your thorough answer -- "Why don't you ask them?"  I did ask PayPal.  Rep said that the word "misinformation" is not in their current policy, so I asked for a copy of the current policy because "misinformation" is a word used in the policy PayPal sent to my email.

I thought the "community" would be helpful, although I think I am swimming in a PayPal's community pool of always correct liberals who may not know the definitions of their words because the definition is whatever feels good at the time. Misinformation is what PayPal thinks misinformation is depending upon the wind of culture, I think may be the answer.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.