Subscriptions

KIDRATINGS
New Community Member

Hi everyone, 

I've got a new bank card and some of the subscriptions that I wanted to pay have not gone through. I got the following message from Paypal which says: 

1.  Click the link above to go to log in and go to your Subscription Details. 
2.  Under 'Subscription Funding Source' choose a different funding source from one of the drop-downs. If there are no other funding sources available, add a new credit card: 
3.  Click the 'Profile' subtab 
4.  Choose the 'Credit Cards' link from the Financial Information column 
5.  Click  'Add' 
6.  Follow the on-screen instructions to add a new credit card to your PayPal account 

The problem is I cant find the heading "Subscription funding source." Does anybody know where this is please ? 

Kind regards 

Kristian Dawson 

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

jennyf
Contributor
Contributor

Kristian, the reason you can't find it is because it isn't there.

I know this because I found the exact same problem myself. My bank sent me a new card, so I entered the details, and when the old card expired, I removed it. Then one of my subscriptions failed because instead of being just generally 'attached' to my whole Paypal account, it was specifically linked to the card that was removed and there is no automatic transfer to apply the subscription to the replacement card. I had no way to know that I couldn't change it.

Later, I checked all my active subscriptions. They are different to continuous payments and it depends what API the merchant used to set up the payment. With a continuous payment, you can change the funding source with no problem.

With a subscription, whether or not it has failed before, there is NO WAY to change the funding source.

Yesterday I wasted about 4 hours batting emails to and fro with a series of useless Paypal helpdesk people.They all assured me that I could change my subscription funding source when actually,  all that the page shows is 3 greyed out radio buttons, referring to 'echeque', 'bank account' and 'credit card'.

There is a bug in the Paypal system but as of about 10:30pm last night, they were still strenuously denying that there is a bug.

Their solution is to go to the merchant and cancel my subscription and then set up a new one. I am refusing to do that because I got a discount on the original subscription and if I cancel and start again, I won't get the discount. It's irrelevant how much it is, Paypal should not require me to lose money because of a bug in their system.

I've sent it back to them once more and as yet they haven't come back to me. 

It's a disgrace that Paypal should treat customers this way.like fools when the fault is entirely theirs.

Login to Me Too

nairbsmailliw
New Community Member

I won't bother repeating what has just been submitted, just to say PayPal have done nothing to help me with the identical problem. They even had the temerity to send me a questionnaire asking how well they had done - needless to say, they got pretty much 'Rubbish' across the board.

I ended up sending my subscription (after is was cancelled without informing me!!!) as a one-off, hoping it will be resolved by this time next month (some hope!). I ended up being charged 0.99p for the pleasure - Thanks PayPal - your customer services are REALLY GREAT!!! NOT!!!!

Login to Me Too

jennyf
Contributor
Contributor

The same thing happened again this month. This is the only get around I know.

Until they fix the problem transfer money into Paypal from your bank account a day or two before the subscription is due. This is only happening to ONE subscription now, all the others are the type that can be amended. 

Pain in the arse, aren't they.

Login to Me Too

tommygoy
New Community Member

Same thing just happened to me. 

This is a £2.99 monthly subscription I've had for years - don't have the time to m,ess about transferring money. I will have to leave it and hope it either gets fixed or just open a new one . . very annoying!

Is anybody else thinking

'Is this the first of many . .?''

It's clearly their fault and there is nothing we can easily do this end if you have that particular type of subscription.

I for one am not messing around with my funding source, - desperately hoping it doesn't **bleep** up on something big!

Login to Me Too

PlebsUnited
New Community Member

Hi i know this is really late response, but i only just had this problem occur today with one of my subscriptions. Same thing as you guys i had my old debit card updated with a new number and i caused one of subscription payments to fail. I got the same e-mail as KIDRATINGS and couldn't figure out how to proceed from there. It took me a few minutes but i figured it out.

Once you have added/updated your card onto paypal click the history tab on the My Account page. Then use the date ranges by clicking on the calenders to search as far back as you need to, to find when your subscription started, and click the orange "Show" box. It should bring up a list of transactions within that date bracket.

Your looking for a payment that has "Subscription Creation To" in the "Type" column. This is the origin of your subscription and should have a details link. It'll bring up a subscription details page for which to complete the instructions the email includes:

1.  Click the link above to go to log in and go to your Subscription Details. 
2.  Under 'Subscription Funding Source' choose a different funding source from one of the drop-downs. If there are no other funding sources available, add a new credit card: 
3.  Click the 'Profile' subtab 
4.  Choose the 'Credit Cards' link from the Financial Information column 
5.  Click  'Add' 
6.  Follow the on-screen instructions to add a new credit card to your PayPal account

I hope this helps everyone who has this trouble, had me frustrated for a while. I'm surprised that the support teams dont know how to do it or just blank you, normally i get good support when i've needed it. It really only took me a little time to look for a problem caused by the automated e-mails poor conveyance in explaining the process and to hear from you guys that the support guys haven't been able to figure it out is a tad worrying. Just make the email easier to understand PayPal and it'll be good.

But i digress, i hope this answers most of your problems.

Login to Me Too

jennyf
Contributor
Contributor

This is extraordinary.

This is the second time I have replied to the above post, the first one appears to have been removed by Paypal.

The fact is that over two years since it was first reported, Paypal have actually fixed the problem.

Due to illness, I forgot to move some cash to cover one of the problem subscriptions this month. When I went into my account, I found that I was able to change the funding source and that the options that prevented me doing it before were completely changed. It wasn't just a case of the 'greying out' being removed. 

I did not have to faff about looking for the payments by date, finding the original one or anything else, I just located the details of the failed payment and went straight in.

ONLY TWO YEARS LATE PAYPAL AND AFTER A LOAD OF FALSE ALLEGATIONS THAT IT WAS THE CUSTOMERS' FAULT.

Login to Me Too

Taywood
Contributor
Contributor

Hello from Newbie

I have a subscription to pay Eurosport  12 monthly payments of £2.99, so far I've paid 10.

Eurosport Player has just blocked my entry, just at the start of my time for watching ski races.

No responses from anyone at Eurosport. I thought it was a techi error and was pestering them

for an answer/explanation.

The December payment had just been paid and I told them my subs were fully paid to date.

Then I thought to check. PayPal have not made payments in April or August. I should have

checked my bank each month!

Why block my viewing now all this time later?

Why did the Auditors at PayPal and Eurosport not Pickup the non payments.

How do I get someone at PayPal to pay the missing subs and negotiate with Eurosport for the

block to be released.

Advice Please.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Taywood,

The only reason a subscription payment would not go through would be if there was a decline from the bank or card used for the subsciption. 

PayPal wouldn't be able to send the money on your behalf now as we never send money without you going through a process with a seller to request it. You should, however, be able to arrange something with Eurosport. If they present the request for funds again it will be processed through PayPal. 

I hope this helps. 

Rachael

Login to Me Too

Taywood
Contributor
Contributor

I mistakenly thought I had an Agreement with PayPal for them to

take money from my account and pay Eurosport SA once per month.

But they will only pay if Eurosport SA claim it.

So Eurosport failed to claim the money from PayPal for two past months.

I didnt notice, nor did the two parties.

On 2 December Eurosport Player stopped my viewing account. without explanation. 

Eurosport SA then asked PayPal to pay the December charge which they did.

Neither Eurosport Player staff or Eurosport SA, their head office, have replied to my

torrent of letters and emails and show no phone contact info.

I've asked PayPal Customer Services to speak with their contact and to propose that

Eurosport claim the missing two payments now. They refused.

I'm snookered. I cant watch Eurosport, my interest is in the Tour de Ski running at present.

Pay Pal will be asked to pay the last two January and February payments then the

contract ends. I cant take on a new contact until that happens. I'd pay the missing two

payments now  by cheque if I could.

I still cant see the ski race Tour nor Olympics, which is why I took on the subscription.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.