Recent payments email

MikaelK

Dear PayPal

Please please PLEASE, let me opt out of the monthly emails reminding me that I can check my recent payments by logging on to PayPal!

I know this is a small issue, but every month on the 7th, I get an automated email, and frankly, I'm getting quite annoyed by it - especially since I can't find a way to turn them off in the Notifications settings (well that and the fact that, as if I didn't know it already, it is now crystal clear that I can check all my recent payments by logging in - I don't need to be reminded every month!).

I can see on the forum that I am not the only one annoyed by this - there is another forum thread with numerous complaints over a five year period so I don't suppose this post will make much of a difference...

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MikaelK

Takes 2 seconds to click delete.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

josiiph
Contributor
Contributor

So? They're unsolicited e-mails (that you can't unsubscribe from) containing zero information sent solely to generate views on paypal.com - with the hope of people then adding funds, linking credit cards, getting apps, upgrading accounts, etc. That's pretty much the definition of spam. The fact that it takes no time to delete or filter them isn't the point. The point is: PayPal should not be spamming their customers. Full stop.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@josiiph

They send them out as a lot of account holders 'rarely' check their Paypal accounts.

So by reminding them monthly it can stop scams or unauthorised transactions earlier.

They are a pain I know but there is a reason behind them so they are not spam.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

josiiph
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal (afaik) always sends you a receipt after a transaction. Which is great - it makes the customer aware the instant any 'scams or unauthorised transactions' happen.

If the monthly e-mail actually made you aware of any recent/scheduled payments (and only arrived if there were any) this would be completely fine. A helpful security feature even 😉 However, the e-mail has no info at all. Only reminding/nagging users to please visit paypal.com if they want to know of any activity on their account, telling the user nothing.

That is not a security feature. It is spam (targeting those 'infrequent' users you mentioned) masquerading as a security feature.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.