Error: Refused (10417: Transaction cannot complete.)

bmagtv
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm a merchant and recently users complain that their automatic monthly payment is rejected (an automatic reminder will be triggered and sent from our server in these cases). We got 2 scenarios here:

SCENARIO 1:

- our backend shows the transaction as failed

- our payment provider, Adyen, shows the transaction as failed with Error: Refused (10417: Transaction cannot complete.)

- there is no trace of the transaction on our Paypal account.

Whilst some of our customers contacted Paypal and stated that they were informed that PayPal never received our payment request, Adyen confirmed that they got a response by PayPal to their request - ending in above mentioned error. As far as we're informed, this means that PayPal is unable to process the payment and something has to be done from their side. We checked: no changes to our backend were made, also the users' payment info is up to date and still worked fine last month. Affected users also don't have more than one payment method linked to their Paypal account.

SCENARIO 2:

- our backend shows the transaction as failed

- our payment provider, Adyen, shows the transaction as failed with Error: Refused (10417: Transaction cannot complete.)

- PayPal shows the transaction as successfully completed

As above, Adyen received the response that the transaction failed with the same error code. However, it seems that in the end Paypal was able to process it as it is shown as completed successfully in our account's activity. Why do we receive an incorrect response on our end?

I sent an email to PayPal regarding these issues but haven't received an answer yet. Maybe someone here has had a similar experience and is able to help me, for if there are any steps necessary from the merchant's side to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.