Bank Statement Unique PayPal Reference

Descry
New Community Member

Hi there, does anyone know if you can add your own unique reference to a PayPal transaction coming out of your bank account?
For example, in my bank account I have a PayPal direct debit set up, but the only reference I get on my statement is "PayPal Payment".
I would like that to read something like "PayPal Payment - Paid for Utility #1", so I can quickly and succinctly know what I've paid for in my bank statement.
Is this at all possible? Or am I stuck with a generic ambiguous name with no reference to the actual transaction unless I visit the PayPal site and look directly?
If the feature to add your own reference is not available, I believe it should be considered for any future update to the system, as it's a major oversight in my eyes.
Many thanks.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Descry,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.

If you are making payments directly with your bank account by direct debit this will only show that it is a PayPal payment. The reason is that a direct debit allows just one description sent when it is set up, it cannot be changed each time. If you make a payment using a debit or credit card this will show PayPal and a shortened version of the seller's name or business.

I hope this helps.

Rachael

Login to Me Too

weefrenchie
New Community Member

Hi, I might be wrong but I don't think the answer provided addresses the question - I believe the question was about having the ability to setup a personalised reference for PayPal payments so that when they show on the linked bank account, the payment is easily identifiable, not the ability to change a direct debit reference every time.

I have the same problem, all my PayPal transactions show on my bank account as "PayPal Payment" so I have to login to PayPal to review my transactions there and reconcile everything - it's not practical at all.

Is there a way for me to provide a reference to show on my bank account for each payment? Or could the reference simply be the one that the vendor provides for the payment in the first place?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi weefrenchie,

The issue here is paying using a direct debit as a funding source. When a card is used to pay we will show the name of the seller or some reference for each transaction that you make and you will know what each payment is for. When a direct debit (instant bank transfer) is used we send the payment to seller and collect the money from your bank. The bank recognise this as part of the agreement and just let you know that it is a PayPal payment.

As such the only way to see what each payment is for is to use a card to pay rather than your bank account.

I hope this clears things up.

Rachael

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.