changing the Ship To address

kindsoul790
New Community Member

How do you change the Ship To address for an Ebay order?

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

AuctionLovers
Contributor
Contributor

I assume you changing it from your paypal page.  

Before I aswer, can I ask why you are changing it?  Is a buyer asking you to chang it??

If you change a buyers shipping address you will not longer have any sellers protection.   If the package does not get shipped to the address that the buyer has on file (on his side), then if the buyer files a Did Not Recieve dispute, you will loose, and paypal will refund them their money. Even it you use tracking.

I'm not saying your buyer is trying to scam you, but their are scammers out there that use this trick to get free items.

To be protected. you need to tell the buyer to change his address in his paypal account so it will be the default address, explain to him you will loose seller protection against any dispute if the seller changes it.

So unless your customer is 100% trusted I would not change it on your end.   Tha said.....

Go to the transaction page, right next to the shipping address you'll see a link that says "change shipping address", just click it and there you are.

Login to Me Too

polara31wsw
Contributor
Contributor

I have a related question on this topic.  Perhaps you, or someone can help.  About a week ago, I sold an item.   When I was notified that payment was received, I proceeded to print shipping label through paypal.  During the process, a screen came up requesting that I ship to a different address than the paypal confirmed address.  My wife and I discussed whether to do this or not, and as a courtesy to the buyer, I chose to do it, so edited the confirmed address and put in the requested address.  Both addresses were in the same state, but different cities.  I thought perhaps one person was buying for a friend, relative, business partner, etc.  Anyway, to try to shorten this up, the party that received the shipment did not know why, and the party that purchased the item wanted to know why I sent it to someone else.  I do not make a hard copy of every screen that comes up in a transaction, so have no proof of what I'm saying.  Have not been able to recover the screen in question.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Beginning to question my own sanity and competence, lol, but I know what I saw.  Situation is being resolved, but would hate for this to happen again.

Login to Me Too

AuctionLovers
Contributor
Contributor

hmmm... I've never hear of this one happening before.  Maybe this is a new scam.  Did you go to paypal through your browser or through the email??

If you went through the email, It was most likely fake, from a scammer,.  It would have taken you to a page that looked like a paypal shipping label but was infact not. 

My guess is  maybe the scammer wanted to ship it to the different address (close to h/her) in hopes he could get to it before the owner of the box did??

The fact that you didn't ship it to the original shipping address, you have no seller protection if the buyer would have filed against you.    Never change the address even if the real buyer asks you to, you lose your sellers protection.  The safest way to change an address, is have the buyer change it in their paypal account, then ship.

Next time this happens, email the buyer to see if they infact are requesting a address change, if so then tell them they need to change it on their side.

So is paypal  helping you with this?  Or is the package being returend to you?

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

USPS sometimes does suggest a different address - I've had that happen once.  It was wrong then, too.

As a general rule, you must ship to the address in the paypal payment email - don't do favours for buyers, ask them to add the new address to their paypal acount, then refund and have them pay again to get it right.

If you ship somewhere else, your seller protection is void.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

By the way, if they ask you to change the address to Nigeria, it's a scam.

Login to Me Too

polara31wsw
Contributor
Contributor

You're quite right.  Will do.  TY

Login to Me Too

polara31wsw
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your response.  Tried to get this back to you twice last night, but due to storm conditions, kept losing connections.  Both parties involved appear to be legitimate, highly rated buyers and sellers with ebay.  Both seemed very open, but confused about the situation and were very cooperative in helping me resolve and correct the issue.  It has been since resolved to everyone's satisfaction, so my main concern is just how this happened to begin with, and if it has happened to anyone else.  As you have said, stick with the confirmed address, which I will do in the future.  Have not involved paypal as yet because I'm not sure who to address it with, and since I did change the shipping address on my own, I did give up my right's to seller's protection.  Ty again for your help.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Careful, there.

Accounts can be hijacked, even accounts of experienced ebayers.

And hijackers are always reasonable when they're trying to steal your money.

The process is there to protect you - you should use it.

Login to Me Too

polara31wsw
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. New seller, still learning.  Good advice.  Will do.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.