Void UPS Shipping Label--Do you get a refund?

MajikalFairy
Contributor
Contributor

My husband printed off a shipping label for UPS. Today when we went down to the UPS store to ship it they were closed and since we were in a rush and on our way out of town didn't really have time to sit there and wait for them to open. (For some reason there were no hours posted on the door.)

I told him that there was a way to request a refund on shipping labels if you do it within 24 hours of printing. He went online and I don't know if he actually read anything or what, but next thing I know he's yelling at me because he's out 30 dollars for the original label.

My question is is there a refund when you void a UPS shipping label? Or is he really out the money and I'm going to get the silent treatment for the rest of the weekend?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Uh - not to mess around in your marriage - but why is he blaming you for something he did?  Seems odd, and you can tell him I said so.

Anyway, keep an eye on that refund.  If you don't get it after 20 days, phone paypal - sometimes you have to jog their elbow to get the refund back.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

This is what I got from the Paypal Help center when I asked about UPS refunds;

How do I void a UPS label I created with PayPal Shipping?

Question : Answer : You can void your shipping label if it has been less than 24 hours since you created the label and if you have not used the label to ship the package.

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click the My Account tab.
3. Click History at the top of the page.
4. Find the PayPal payment for which you created a label.
5. Click the Details link in the Details column of the payment.
6. Click the Void Label link.
7. Click the Void Shipment button to confirm the cancellation.

It almost looks like voiding the label refunds the shipping - how did you pay for this?

Login to Me Too

MajikalFairy
Contributor
Contributor

He already voided it without doing any research that's why I'm asking.

He paid with his PayPal account and printed off the label himself.

I ended up doing the research after getting chewed out. The closest thing to an answer that I found was pertaining to USPS labels and said that refunds could take between 15-20 calender days for refund to be given. I'm hoping that it goes for the UPS labels, too.

Login to Me Too
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Uh - not to mess around in your marriage - but why is he blaming you for something he did?  Seems odd, and you can tell him I said so.

Anyway, keep an eye on that refund.  If you don't get it after 20 days, phone paypal - sometimes you have to jog their elbow to get the refund back.

Login to Me Too

MajikalFairy
Contributor
Contributor

I was the one that pointed out that PayPal says that you can void a label within 24 hours if there is a mistake before shipping the package out. He took that as "Okay, she said it, she knows what she's talking about so I don't have to do any research and I'm just going to click the option without doing any research or even looking to see if there is a UPS store in the location we're going to be in this weekend."

I should have done my own research before offering to help. This isn't the first time I offered to help and him not doing any reading and **bleep**ing things up. (Don't get me started on the first time he tried printing off his own shipping label... I told him to make sure the date was right because he was printing out the label a day in advance of him sending it out... Oh my goodness what a fiasco that was when I pointed out that somehow he managed to print a flat rate label for his none flat rate box!)

But that I can do. We've already had to call PayPal a few times about them not being on the ball when it comes to releasing money and whatnot. Ugh. Though he says because of all the issues he's had lately with PayPal and their issues (he's starting to get his money held due to their hold policy for sellers on Ebay... Which he made fun of me because of the fact that they started doing that to my account about a month ago before his) he's going to probably stop selling until things change. Oh well. He's just mad that until he gets that refund then technically he spent 60 dollars on shipping. 😞 It was about a 20 lb package.)

Wow... I blabbed a bunch. Thanks for the help. The ball is in PayPal's court and we just have to play the waiting game. Yay...

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Well, smack him upside of the head for me, anyway.Smiley Very Happy  That ain't no way to treat a lady.

Paypal's not going to change on the 21 day hold thing - it's permanent.

Login to Me Too

MajikalFairy
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, he admitted that he blindly followed my 'advice' because he assumed I knew what I was talking about. He says he WANTS to say it wasn't my fault... But I know he still blames me for saying something. That I need to stop helping because he always seems to lose money when I suggest anything.

Yeah, I figured as much that it wouldn't change. It does make things a bit of an unnecessary pain in the fanny. It would be nice if they didn't hold the shipping as a part of the process. We have to plan our sales/shipping around pay week because we can't afford to pull money from our bank account to cover shipping, wait for the shipping to be unlocked from PayPal, and then wait 3-5 days for the money to be transfered back to the bank account. It just makes things too hard. And we can't just leave the money in the PayPal account because a good chunk of the little bit we DO make after shipping and fees goes towards the little one. Diapers, milk, juice, all that fun stuff. Can't really put that stuff off else we could just leave old purchases there to be used as shipping funds.

If they could tweak the policy I'm sure it would avoid a lot of hassle and maybe help alleviate some of the negative feelings people are having towards PayPal. Just to hold the purchase price and not the shipping would be wonderful. Purchase an item for $20 dollars, shipping is marked for $5, PayPal holds the $20 in case of refund and automatically gives you the $5 for shipping. No one really refunds shipping anyways because that's an expense you can't recover.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Oh, he admitted that he blindly followed my 'advice' because he assumed I knew what I was talking about. He says he WANTS to say it wasn't my fault... But I know he still blames me for saying something. That I need to stop helping because he always seems to lose money when I suggest anything.

That deserves another smack upside the head! 

Just to hold the purchase price and not the shipping would be wonderful.

My information is that they have done that, but it doesn't seem to work well unless you phone paypal.  There must be some special trick that they've failed to mention.

No one really refunds shipping anyways because that's an expense you can't recover.

Uhhh - no.  In any dispute, you're looking at refunding price + shipping if you lose.

Login to Me Too

MajikalFairy
Contributor
Contributor

Ah. I did not know that about having to refund shipping as well. That kind of bites. lol. I'll live though. Thankfully I haven't had any complaints about the few items I have sold and hope to keep it that way.

Login to Me Too

usps-scam
Contributor
Contributor

Just read the paypal policy and follow the rules and you won't have these kind of problems.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.