UPS hase 2 charges for same shipment exceeding cost to ship

W_Bllz
Contributor
Contributor

The last 2 shipments i have made through paypal with UPS they have put a hold for $3.09 and then the regular charge for shipping.  The 3.09 has cleared (taken out of my account) but the shipping charge is still pended.  Anyone else had this problem and what is going on? 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

amswein
Contributor
Contributor

I am having that exact same problem, but its with 6 items i have sold. its very frusterating. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi W_Bllz and amswein,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

UPS shipping label transactions can be pretty confusing when you look at them in your transaction history.  I find the easiest way to make sense of them is to view the history page with the "All activity (with balance)" filter enabled.

Every completed UPS label purchase will show 4 line items on the history page.  I'll define what each line means in chronological order below:

The first entry is the authorization.  This represents that UPS has obtained authorization to charge your PayPal account.  No funds are being debited.

The second entry is a temporary hold being placed.  This line usually appears seconds after the first authorization line.  This line represents PayPal putting the funds on hold so they are available for when UPS wants to put the charge through.  You will see your PayPal balance go down after this line.

The third entry is the temporary hold being cancelled or released.  This means that the held funds are being placed back into the PayPal balance.  This would happen just before the payment is finalized by UPS or if the authorization expires after 5 days.  You will see the PayPal balance increase by the hold amount after this line.

And the last entry will be UPS putting the charge through.  This is when the funds are actually sent to them.  The PayPal balance will decrease and the funds that were previously released will be used.  This usually happens seconds after the third entry when the temporary hold is released.  If UPS does not put a charge through within 5 days of the original authorization, the funds are released back into the account.  UPS would still have the ability to put the charge through but the funds wouldn't be on hold waiting for them to do so. If the held funds are released and used, it's possible for a delayed UPS charge to take a PayPal account negative if there are no funds in the PayPal balance at the time UPS captures the authorization.

I know this can be very confusing but I hope this was helpful to provide some clarity to the situation.  If you have reviewed the history page and the activity isn't matching with the process I described above, you may need to contact Customer Service for assistance.

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.