Shipping vs. Pickup in person...Is it Secure? or how do i protect? please help ASAP

Tonyghaff
New Community Member

If the Customer pays thru pay pal then come to pickup the merchandise locally instead of me shipping... is it okay or how should i protect myself in case if there is fraud or customer denies the pickup in person. Does pay pal require the shipping receipt etc. as proof of delivery.. please help

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_Helmute
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello Tonyghaff, and welcome to the community!

If you decide to have someone pick the item up there would be very little protection.  We rely on the tracking number through a third unbiased party (USPS, ups, etc) to confirm the delivery of the item.  For seller protection we do require there be proof of delivery, for more information on seller protection you can click here!

Hope this helps!

**Helmute**

Login to Me Too

JimmyTJams
Contributor
Contributor

Helmute 

@PayPal_Helmute wrote:

...If you decide to have someone pick the item up there would be very little protection.  .....

**Helmute**

What about these procedures to help make a pickup of an expensive Item like a Laptop?  We live less than 5 miles from each other.

If Item was paid via PayPal and buyer met seller at a legal Notary Public such as one at their bank.  The buyer in the bank office cubical who look in the box to verify that the correct item(s) are in the box etc) The buyer would have a document created that acknowledged receipt of the Item including description, eBay number and signed by a Notary Public.  The Notary  is an employee of the same bank where the buyer has his PayPal verified bank account and Visa debit card with.  The notary would also stated they have viewed the buyers Official picture State Drivers Licensee.  Would this be a strong protection for the seller re PayPal? 

If not would it be better for the seller to meet at the bank and proceed with the same steps as mentioned above except.  The seller would make a withdrawal slip and the bank Notary would get the funds and give the cash to the seller the buyer would give the item to the seller and then notarize and give the seller and the buyer a copy at the same time.?

Regards,

Jimmy

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bivens
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello JimmyTJams,

PayPal still requires that we have online tracking that shows delivery.  We would not be able to accept documentation from the previous given example with the notary.  While in actuality that would be good proof, because of how our automated systems are set up, it would not be accepted as valid proof of delivery as it is not included in the user agreements.  If the seller and buyer were to work out a deal at the bank that involved cash then that would not involve PayPal in the transaction, thus no buyer or seller protection would be included. 

Hope this helps!

JMB

Login to Me Too

JimmyTJams
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal_Bivens,

Thank you for a quick answer. I hope in the future PayPal will find a way to allow local pickup and allow for buyer and  seller protection.

At least eBay allows for local pickup and payment.   Meeting in a safe public location allowing for an inspection of the item,  verifying legal cash and a notarized payment & item receipt is a reasonably safe transaction for expensive items.  If both parties live close to each other this can save quite a bit of money.  For example buyers can save shipping cost like those over $30  (plus insurance) and seller can save on PayPal fees $24 to $30 for an Item costing around $1000.   If both the seller and buyer have been with eBay for quite awhile and their ratings are in high 99+% with many completed transactions including some more expensive items adds additional safety. Although not a PayPal transaction if both have verified PayPal accounts it's another plus. 

This is probably more practical for  consumer or small scale sellers with flexibility than higher volume sellers.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.