Please help, i'm new

Clockwork
Contributor
Contributor

i've just sold an item on Craigslist and the buyer wanted to pay via paypal, and i have never used this service before. I recieved an email that said i had to send a tracking number but i dont know where it is on the email. The email says the buyer has paid but will hold my money from my account until it has confirmed i have shipped, but i dont see anything on my account history.

i'm not sure what the tracking number is, and i'm not sure exactly how to ship once i get this sorted out
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Well, it's a really good thing you came here, because it's a scam.

There is no money in your Paypal account for this purchase and bever will be - what you received is a fake paypal payment.

You can forward the email you received to spoof@paypal.com and they'll confirm it, but it's a fake.

Do NOT send this item out ( to Nigeria, if I'm not mistaken).  If you have sent it out, first thing tomorrow, go to the post office and ask them to recall the package.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Well, it's a really good thing you came here, because it's a scam.

There is no money in your Paypal account for this purchase and bever will be - what you received is a fake paypal payment.

You can forward the email you received to spoof@paypal.com and they'll confirm it, but it's a fake.

Do NOT send this item out ( to Nigeria, if I'm not mistaken).  If you have sent it out, first thing tomorrow, go to the post office and ask them to recall the package.

Login to Me Too

Clockwork
Contributor
Contributor

hey thanks so much, I called the post office and asked them not to ship it anyway, just to be safe, and i figured it might be a scam. Thank you for confirming, i really appreciate it.

Login to Me Too

Marson
New Community Member

I have received requests from two different parties for my PayPal address so they can send me payments.  I am unable to find out my PayPal address from your website.  What is it?

John Marson

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

They're both scams - do not reply to them.

Your paypal address is the email you sign in with, but all you'll get from these guys are fake paypal emails telling you that money has been deposited ( which doesn't show up in your account), but you have to input tracking numbers to see that the money is there.

They're scams.  The emails are fake and the money was never there, nor will it ever be.

Login to Me Too

AuctionLovers
Contributor
Contributor

hmmm....I'm confussed.

I find it hard to believe that just because someone asks you if they can pay by palpal to automatically believe it is a scam.  A lot of people that sell on craiglist accept paypal when they sell items.

Yes, if the buyer is telling you your funds are on hold, they are scamming you becuase they wouldn't  know.   And if you get any kind of letter saying they are using a ebay agent (there are non), or want you to use western union, on any other kind of money transfer, the it's a scam.

But if this is a buyer just asking if he can use paypal to pay, I wouldn't assume right away it is a a scam. But don't give them your paypal address.

The best way to secure your payment when asked to recieve payment through paypal, go to paypal and use the request money button.  This way you are not giving your paypal address to anyone.  The buyer will have to give you their paypal address however.  The buye rwill have to use the pay now button and no personal info will be given to them.

But just as a causion, don't use paypal for any Pick up only items, such as vehicles or furnature.  You can get scammed there.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

use the request money button.  This way you are not giving your paypal address to anyone.

Sorry, wrong.

Every browser has a "View source" button and it'll show the underlying HTML to anybody that knows how to read it - they can find your email address that way.

Login to Me Too

CMTerry
New Community Member

I'm getting the same problem with paypal... I sold an item and the purchaser has paid, I never click a link in an email, but go directly to the website... The purchaser has paid, and the notice says paypal is holding the funds until the purchaser has left feedback stating they received the item, or for 21 days... which ever comes first... Now, the help center on paypal says I can use those held funds to pay for shipping if I purchase it from paypal... So I am trying and it still will now allow me to use any of the funds... I don't have a way to send the item because the shipping is more then I can afford out of my own pocket (yes the customer paid the 75.00 shipping payment).

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@CMTerry wrote:

I'm getting the same problem with paypal... I sold an item and the purchaser has paid, I never click a link in an email, but go directly to the website... The purchaser has paid, and the notice says paypal is holding the funds until the purchaser has left feedback stating they received the item, or for 21 days... which ever comes first... Now, the help center on paypal says I can use those held funds to pay for shipping if I purchase it from paypal... So I am trying and it still will now allow me to use any of the funds... I don't have a way to send the item because the shipping is more then I can afford out of my own pocket (yes the customer paid the 75.00 shipping payment).

That's a legitimate situation.

The problem is that you have to ship the item within 7 days or you get in trouble.

Phone Paypal and ask them to release enough funds for the shipping.  The phone number comes up when you click on 'contact us' in your account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.