Package alledgly is "lost" what are my rights as a seller?

mistylovesnikra
New Community Member

Hello there,

I recently shipped a package w/o DC (yeah, I know!) The shipping center I dropped them off for some reason does not have DC. Needless to say - I DO keep all my reciepts as proof of shipment. A buyer is claiming she never rec'd her item and would like another or a refund. I'm kind of annoyed right now- I have shipped no less than 100 packages in the last 6 mos. and none of them have been lost. Not to mention - there were int'l packages that went out same day as hers - they didn't get lost. I see this buyer has very low history of buying. In her messages she also claimed she had sent messages a few times before to me about this. I double and triple checked - never happened. I don't know but she just seems shady and I get the feeling she's trying to take advantage of the fact that DC wasn't used. What are my rights as a seller? I mean, let's say the package was legitimately lost in the mail and she's not just trying to get a freebie - am I still really liable for that? I did my part by shipping the item and again; I do have a reciept as proof that it was sent.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

I mean, let's say the package was legitimately lost in the mail and she's not just trying to get a freebie - am I still really liable for that?

Yes, you are.

I did my part by shipping the item and again; I do have a reciept as proof that it was sent.

That doesn't mean squat.

You have a duty to ensure that the customer gets the item in the condition in which it was listed.

She didn't - refund all of her costs, including what she paid in shipping.

Login to Me Too

Momdalf
Contributor
Contributor

We ship USPS Priority Mail regardless of what our customers order.  They track the package and we have proof of delivery.  Once the post office official employee (carrier) takes posession of the package from us, we have fufilled our end of the contract with the customer.  The customer needs to file a complaint with the postal service if they do not receive the package.  In most cases, the customer either lives in an apartment and the manager has their package, OR the customer moved and forgot to change their address with Paypal or their credit card company.  We do not consider ourselves liable for any package where the customer failed to provide the correct information. 

You need to make sure you have your refund and guarantee policy stated on either your auction or your website to avoid problems in the future. 

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Paypal does - you are required to confirm the address before shipment.Once the post office official employee (carrier) takes posession of the package from us, we have fufilled our end of the contract with the customer.

No, you haven't - US law says you are responsible for making sure the customer receives their order.  ebay and paypal rules state unequivocably that you must ensure that the item is delivered, not just shipped.  That's why delivery confirmation is required.

The customer needs to file a complaint with the postal service if they do not receive the package.

That's YOUR responsibility, not the customer's - the customer files the complaint with Paypal.

We do not consider ourselves liable for any package where the customer failed to provide the correct information.

Paypal DOES - you are required to confirm the address before shipment.

Login to Me Too

GrandmaToots
New Community Member

I ordered a GPS for Christmas and never received it.   I tracked it down through FedEX.  They say it was delivered and left in front of my garage.  That was the week of 18 + inches of snow.  UPS always left packages on our covered porch located 3 ft. away from the garage.  I have copies of this item being paid for through Paypal and my credit card - I filed a claim to FedEX, should I inform Paypal and/or credit card co.?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.