Multi-order Shipping & SCAN; last 2 times one of the items is showing as 'no record' in USPS system

SLW
Contributor
Contributor

I've been using Multi-Order Shipping (MOS) for two months, printing and taking the SCAN form to the post office so I have proof that my items made it into the US Postal System. On Saturday I shipped two items. When I checked Tracking today (Monday), one of the items said "There is no record of this item". The other item was at its destination city and out for delivery. Worried that two days later there was no tracking for one of my items, I took my SCAN form and receipts to the PO when I mailed another batch of two items today. The postal clerk went out back and came back and said that the delivery confirmation number on the one package was showing in their system as invalid, and that their system did show that a SCAN form for two packages had been processed Saturday, but he was unable to figure out how to tell the delivery confirmation numbers associated with the SCAN form. (There has to be a way the USPS has this information. He said the desk people aren't really trained in how the system works...).

Anyway, the same thing now appears to be happening with the shipment I mailed today. Eight hours later, Track and Confirm shows one item being processed through the facility, and the other says "There is no record of this item".  There was nothing out of the ordinary with any of these shipments, either days. The SCAN form and labels printed fine; nothing was voided or reprinted. Since it just happened the last two days, I'm worried that there's a bug in the system, and it also bothers me that to my customers it looks like I printed the label, but didn't really mail their item yet.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

PayPal, do you know if there is a bug in the MOS tool that is causing this? My PayPal records indicate that these orders are shipped and complete, and I was charged for the postage.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

postalchart_com
Contributor
Contributor

Sometimes acceptance and delivery scans take 24 hours or more to upload to USPS. I just recently had a package that was scanned as accepted on Friday but the scan did not appear online until Monday.

Login to Me Too

SLW
Contributor
Contributor

To: postalchart_com - I understand, but it doesn't make sense to me that if the items are accepted by using a SCAN form which is for multiple shipments, it should have info for one of the two packages associated with the form, and no info for the other package scanned in on the same acceptance form. And the post office told me in both instances that their system is showing the tracking numbers is question as "INVALID". To me, this signals a problem. (This is what I would expect the system to say for a tracking number that had been assigned and later voided.)

To navikagolf and others - As an update, I was able to confirm with the P.O. that the same thing did happen with my second shipment: the second label associated with the SCAN form that said 'There is no record of this item' was also showing as INVALID in the USPS computer system. I hope this is just semantics, and that it is just their way of saying they have no record BUT - my customer hasn't received it yet, and I am worried the post office scanned it, saw it come up as INVALID and is either in the process of returning it to me (OK) or has set it aside and it is in limbo (AWFUL).

I called PayPal this morning and they are looking into it. The fellow I spoke to understood what I was telling him and was taking it very seriously. I think there is a bug in the PayPal MOS system or the USPS system with which it interfaces that would have started some time in the past week.

I went back and looked at the tracking for every single shipment I've made using a SCAN form in the last two months, and they ALL have event lines that read "Shipment Accepted...." and "Electronic Shipping Info Received..." with dates

and/or times. The two shipment dates I'm having problems with, the 19th and 21st, do not include these event lines at all, even for the labels that are showing tracking info, one of which has been delivered. I don't think this is a coincidence.

Update since I wrote the above: the label the PO told me was INVALID for the second item sent the 21st is now showing tracking info as being processed through the sort facility at its destination. Still an issue that it is not recorded as being accepted when the SCAN form was presented, but otherwise great news. It makes me hopeful my first shipment will get delivered, although it should have reached its destination sort facility yesterday or early today at the latest.

When I hear back from PayPal with what they were able to determine, I will update this post.

Login to Me Too

ThreadsCorp
Contributor
Contributor

I would love to hear how this turning out for others, since I just sent an overnight shipment today that isn't showing any tracking.   Scared to death that my item is now in limbo.  The customer has to have the dress for tomorrow.

Login to Me Too

navikagolf
New Community Member

I received an email from a buyer stating the same thing. Their package was shipped out on the 18th and they were unable to track it. It states that "There is no record of this item". I checked on a few packages around that date, and I have another one that says the same thing. I hope these labels are still valid. Did you figure out the cause with the Post Office, and are the packages still getting to their destination?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.