How Do I Change Shipping Costs for combined shipping?

dianad732
New Community Member

I really hope someone can help me. I have been trying to fiddle around for this all last night with no results.

I just had my first customer who ordered 2 items where I noted that I combine shipping to customers.

My problem is, when I clicked on the multi-order shipping and clicked import, paypal had the shipping cost for "each"

item..  I don't want my customer to pay double shipping cost.

I tried for a long time to type in a low weight to reduce it, but no luck.. not low enough.

Is there a way to manually type in the amount you want a customer to pay shipping costs?

And will it still work if the customer already "paid" for the item? Please help!

All responses are welcome, thank you!

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

ScottyzNuts
New Community Member

While beta testing my site I noticed that every time someone Adds an item to the cart, it charges them a brand new fee for shipping. Example, when creating the button(s) in PayPal, it has a field for shipping (which we always put $5).  So, when 1 item is selected $5 shows up on invoice, 2 items / $10, 5 items / $25.... We can ship up to 20 of our items for a single $5 fee, and obviously anyone ordering *more* than that, we'll be more than happy to handle anything over $5.

SO... all I'm really getting at here is, I'm guessing there's some way to set up a 'global' (one time) shipping charge, through PayPal for each complete order placed thru my site, no? 

Login to Me Too

indichocolate
Contributor
Contributor

It's not hard once you know where to look.  Go to "Merchant Services", then click "Shipping Calculator", then create a Shipping Method, and click the Edit button.  There are a bunch of settings, including one that says, "Use the shipping fee in the transaction instead of my calculator's settings:"

You want that setting to be "No".  Here's why: the shipping fee in your transactions have been accumulating $5 for each item in the order because your "buy now" button declared the item in that button to have a $5 shipping charge.   Now, with a calculated shipping charge, you can set the shipping charge to be calculated per order, rather than accumulated for each item that was added to the cart.  Your "shipping charge for the whole order" can be calculated by weight, by price, etc.  In your case set it by price, and make a price tier of $5 for any order totalling from  $0.01 and up.  ( In my site I have two tiers, $4.95 for everything up to $30, and $15 shipping for every order $30 and up). 

Good luck.

Login to Me Too

woodturner68
Contributor
Contributor

I was going to ask the same thing but you answered it, I am so glad there are people out there who has the experience and shares it with other's who are having a hard time figuring it out.  Thank you, I have been searching for 2 days trying to add a flat rate on my website at checkout for multiple orders to one address and one rate.  I am going to go there now and go by what you said.  Thank you again indichocolate.

Login to Me Too

woodturner68
Contributor
Contributor

To Indichocolate,

I have tried and need help in filling out the section for standard flat rate shipping.  There are three colum and every single time I click on the first one to the left it knocks me off.  I am green doing this and I desperately need your help or someone ASAP.  I need this to be told to me like I am a 8 year old because that is how green I am.  In fact all of this is new for me, the way I have it right now with paypal, if a customer comes to my site and orders 3 items, they are charged shipping each and every time and I can't have that.  I want to be able for a customer to order multiple items for a flat rate because of the "If it fits, it ships at one price" and that is what  I need.  I am trying to launch my new website by the end of this month.  At this point I don't even understand that three boxes that has 0.01  up to   and rate.  Please help, I really appreciate it.

woodturner68

Login to Me Too

Christine217
Contributor
Contributor

I completely agree woodturner. I need a flat rate shipping calculator too. With paypal everytime I try and set my shipping based on price it boots me off as well. I have the same situation with trying to start my website. I want to open my site very soon and cannot figure out this shipping problem.

I have $5.00 shipping up to $30.00 --- then, $10.00 shipping from $31.00 to $99.00--- and ect.......

Paypal will boot you off the screen when you try to do this. I also called them and there advice to me was to download a flat rate shipping calculator....I have no idea what to do or where to find one. HELP!!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.