Does UPS Smartpickup get triggered by UPS labels printed with Paypal shipping?

cupnw
Contributor
Contributor

I just subscribed to UPS Smartpickup ($10/week for daily pickup). The daily pickup gets triggered by UPS labels printed. But am not sure if the UPS labels printed by Paypal shipping will trigger the pickup. Do you know?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

cupnw
Contributor
Contributor

Finally figured out my answer. Short answer is NO.

Here is what I needed to do to get it working. Unfortunately, this is not documented in one place clearly. The eBay APP "link to UPS Worldship" has a pretty good FAQ and UPS provides tech support for UPS Worldship at 888 553 1118.

(1) Need to install free UPS Worldship client on my computer. It is a pretty big App and crashes sometimes during installation

(2) Need to install free "link to UPS Worldship" App in eBay.

(3) Run "link to UPS Worldship" and download to UPS Worldship

(4) Batch import in UPS Worldship

(5) print the UPS labels in UPS Worldship

(6) Batch export from UPS Worldship

(7) Import into eBay with "link to UPS Worldship" (this is theory - I have not got step 7 to work correctly). I am updating the tracking numbers manually in eBay

(8) After the labels are printed, run "end of day" in UPS Worldship. This will transmit the labels to UPS and print a summary count  for the UPS driver

(9) The labels should trigger Smart Pickup (this is theory). My UPS Smart Pickup account is still not enabled even after one week. They have committed it will start working in two business days (have heard this same story from UPS every day, for the last 5 days). If you are small fry for UPS, you get treated like crap.

It took me about 2 days to figure all this out and I think I am 70% there in terms of making it work. One gotcha is that Paypal only transactions (like Paypal invoices) are not downloaded by eBay "link to UPS Worldship" and need to be cut'n'pasted manually from Paypal to UPS Worldship.

Regards,

Login to Me Too

cupnw
Contributor
Contributor

Couple of other things I learnt through this process:

1. When you do UPS shipment through Paypal, you do have a UPS account number and you can track the shipments through UPS website using the tracking number. But UPS has zero visibility to your account history. So when you request a direct relationship with UPS (like for daily pickup of packages), you are like a new customer to them. Even if you ship 5-10 packages/day, it is interesting information for them but they cannot see it. So you get treated like small fry at the bottom of the priority heap.

2. When you ship with paypal, the money is taken immediately from your Paypal balance. If you ship directly with UPS, you are billed weekly at the end of the week. This has two benefits (a) you get one week credit (b) You do not need to account for all the individual UPS shipment transactions in your accounting system if you are comfortable with one weekly transaction (I am).

3. Initially, I was going to implement "Smart Pickup". It costs $10/week and gets triggered by UPS labels uploaded from the UPS Worldship desktop client. On the other hand, the "Daily Pickup" also costs $10/week if you have > $75 of UPS billing/week (most serious sellers using UPS would have this volume). Hence it appears better to go with daily pickup since there are too many uncertainties with Smart Pickup.

Regards, Naren

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.